Surgical Technologist - Health Park East Surgery Center * Days - 40hrs/wk
Requisition #: req1417
FTE status: 1
The Surgical Technologist under the guidance of the Registered Nurse, assists in the nursing care and preparation of the surgical patient by performance of routine and delegated duties according to the policies and standards of the Center. Assembles appropriate supplies, drapes, instruments, equipment, and sutures for the surgery procedure. Performs scrub duties in compliance with the principles of surgical asepsis and patient safety. Sets up and maintains sterile field and provides assistance to the operative team. Rotates schedule between the operating room and the decontamination/central processing area. Assists in inventory control and checking supply inventory par levels, ordering supplies as needed.
- High School graduate or equivalent
- Graduate of an accreditetd School of Surgical Technologists
- Minimum of three years knowledge and experience in an operating room
- Prefer Ambulatory Surgery experience
- Experience in decontamination/sterile prep
- Surgical Technologist Certification Preferred
- BCLS Certification required
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
I. SURGERY PREPARATION
- Selects and prepares appropriate supplies for the operative procedure based on knowledge, the information from the preference card and the physicians’ plan of care.
- Check case supplies for completeness.
- Notifies, Materials Coordinator and Clinical Manager/ Administrator of any supply or instrument unavailable.
- If unfamiliar with the procedure, read up on it.
II. INFECTION CONTROL
- Assures instruments and sets are sterile for cases.
- Have clear understanding of and ability to apply principles of surgical asepsis and patient safety.
- Set up sterile field including gown and glove operative team.
- Utilize aseptic technique for sterile draping of the surgical field.
III. SURGERY PERFORMANCE
- Observes operative procedure closely and anticipates the need of the operative team.
- Anticipates and recognizes special problems as they arise.
- Assist circulating nurse in opening supplies.
- Maintain organized and efficient surgical field.
- Maintain proper storage of sterile instruments and equipment.
IV. PATIENT CARE/SAFETY
- Provide direct and indirect patient care using the nursing process to assess, plan, implement and evaluate patient requirements as directed by the physician; use medical equipment in accordance with standards; demonstrate continued competence in all facets of ambulatory surgery.
- Count instruments, sponges, and needles with circulating nurse preoperatively
- Perform counts as indicated by policy accounting for all items.
- Participate in the Surgical Timeout process.
- Follow specimen collection and handoff procedures. Verify specimen is labeled and handled correctly.
- Identify and label all drugs or solutions on sterile field.
- Handle and dispose of sharps according to policy.
V. DECONTAMINATION/STERILE PROCESSING
- Handle and care FOR instruments as indicated by the manufacture and hospital policy.
- Maintains working status of instruments and equipment; ascertains that broken and/or missing instruments are properly repaired or replaced; notifies Clinical Coordinator if loaner equipment is needed.
- Clean and sterilize all instruments in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Clean and maintain all cleaning and sterilizing equipment.
- Monitor biological and document results. Assure sterility of all instruments notifying Clinical Manager/Administrator of deviations.
VI. ORGANIZATIONALY STANDARDS
- Participate in committees and educational opportunities.
- Observe cost containment practices.
- Assist in cleaning and restocking cabinets, carts and storage areas.
- Dispose of trash, hazardous waste, and linen.
- Unpack and put away all supplies.
- Assist in supply inventory and ordering processes.
- Observes cost containment practices.
- Address and respond to issues and concerns in a timely manner; will notify Clinical Coordinator of any physician or patient complaints.