Pathology Secretary - Laboratory * Days - Resource
The Pathology Secretary is responsible for general secretarial duties related to the Anatomic Pathology section of the Laboratory as well as the typing, filing, coding, and computer entry of pathology reports dictated by the Pathologists. The Pathology Secretary is also responsible for work assigned by the Anatomic Pathology Supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- High school diploma or equivalent; completion of medical secretary program preferred.
- Excellent knowledge of medical terminology and anatomy.
- Experience in medical transcription, preferably pathology.
- Sound communication skills, both verbal and written, with high level of grammar and spelling knowledge.
- Considerable knowledge of office procedures and practices.
- Must have the ability to type with speed and accuracy (minimum 65-70 WPM), and the ability to use medical transcription equipment and personal computers
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Transcribes and types daily gross and microscopic reports accurately and according to written policies and procedures. Proof reads and uses spell checker to assure accuracy.
- Utilizes electronic patient record (EMR) to verify correct sources/sites and clinical history when typing results.
- Processes requests for patient material to be sent to reference laboratories, physicians, and research studies for additional testing, consultation or referral; ensures proper documentation, mailing, and tracking.
- Processes incoming results from reference labs, physicians and research studies; incorporates results into pathology report and scans into patient EMR.
- Reviews CPT codes in pathology reports for billing accuracy.
- Performs all clerical duties in the Pathology Office, including phone communication with physicians, physician offices and patients, and filing microscope slides as needed.
- Processes CAP PIP surveys in the absence of the lead pathology secretary and when completed by pathologists.
- Processes legal cases in absence of lead pathology secretary as needed.
- Works closely with pathologists and handles all information in a confidential manner.
- Performs other duties as needed.
Category: Admin & Clerical, Health Care
Requisition #: req6844FTE status: 0