Ophthalmic Technician - Ophthalmology * Days - 36hrs/wk
The ophthalmic Technician functions in a support role; assisting the health care provider in the delivery of quality health care services in the ambulatory setting.
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent
- 2-3 years of experience as a clinical Ophthalmology Technician.
- 2-5 Years of experience in a busy Ophthalmology/Optometry office.
- Completion of competency based orientation
- CPR certification or acquisition within 90 days of employment.
- Experience in the ambulatory setting with a diverse population. Able to work effectively and efficiently under tight deadlines, high volumes, and multiple interruptions.
- Team player. Able to complete assignments independently. Demonstrates knowledge of universal precautions, MDPH and OSHA standards. High level of confidentiality.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to meet the needs of the patient populations served in assigned areas of work.
- All age groups apply to this job description.
- Excellent Computer Skills
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Carries out orders in the delivery of patient care as assigned by the Office Manager or physician.
- Collect patient data i.e., eye and medical history, medication etc.
- Assists provider with exams as need.
- Perform procedures for which competency is maintained (refraction, visual field, etc.)
- Anticipate physician needs to assure efficiency and timely processing of patients.
- Observes, records, and appropriately reports patient’s condition.
- Under a physician directions discusses and informs of procedures, pre and post-operative instructions.
- Gives eye drops and other medications per physician instructions
- Performs duties related to patient’s care.
- Maintains chart as required, reviews medical record prior to patient appointment, assuring needed diagnostics and reports are in chart and attached as required.
- Completes appropriate forms for ordered test and referrals.
- Assures rooms are turned over quickly to assure schedules are maintained.
- Assists others as needed.
- Establishes and maintains effective communication with medical team.
- Assists with front office duties as needed and assigned, always working as a team player.
- Takes messages, records completely and directs to physician appropriately.
- Documents patients encounter accurately and completely.
- Dates, times and signs all documents.
- Appropriately documents all patient care.
- Gives written patient instructions as required.
- Documentation reflects care given.
- Maintains a clean and safe environment at all times.
- Always follows universal precautions.
- Rooms are cleaned daily and drawers/cupboards are cleaned as required.
- Work area and rooms are organized and maintained with needed supplies.
- Maintains equipment and instruments, assuring they are handled carefully and cleaned according to Infection Control guidelines.
- Follows OSHA guidelines and Infection Control policies at all times.
- Responds to emergency situations and reacts in a manner which safeguards the patients and staff.
- CPR certified, renewed as required.
- Is familiar with emergency procedures to adequately perform as part of the medical team.
- Performs other duties as needed.
- Tracks referrals and diagnostics as assigned.
- Schedules surgery and procedures as ordered.
- Reminder phones to patients for next day appointments.
- Documents and follows up no shows as requested.
- Performs all other duties as requested by the physician or Office Manager
- Participates in identifying patient problems and carrying out the plan of care.
- Participates in Quality Improvements activities.
- Monitors sample medicines to assure drugs are signed in and out and medications are labeled per physician.
- Continually updates knowledge by attending mandatory education, in-services, must obtain required CEUs, read articles and post educational updates.
- Maintains knowledge and competence in field of practice.
- Maintains competency in medications used in the clinical area.
- Participates as an active team member and influences others positively.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings.
- Supports the organization by following policy/procedures and works effectively to adjust as able.
- Cross-trains, and works to maintain office cohesiveness and teamwork.
- Conducts self professionally, responsibly, and positively.
- Customer Service
- Communicates effectively and positively.
- Maintains confidentiality/privacy at all times.
- Verbal and non-verbal communication. Shows empathy and concern at all times.
- Role model for other team-members.
- Treats others with dignity and respect.
- Identifies and acts upon actual/perceived customer problems/issues/complaints.
Category: Health Care
Requisition #: req2637FTE status: 0.9