About this Opportunity
As a Truck Driver, you'll be responsible for transporting primarily finished product and raw materials to and from suppliers, manufacturing sites, distribution centers, and, occasionally, directly to the end customer. You will perform this work at the highest level of safety and reliability consistent with department and operational business objectives. You'll also ensure proper care and usage of equipment, as well as compliance to Federal Motor Carrier Safety and Department of Transportation regulations.
What You'll Do
You'll have opportunities to speak up, solve problems, lead others, and be an owner every day as you...
Sound Like You?
- Communicate on an ongoing basis with the Local Fleet Dispatcher regarding issues/concerns that prevent or jeopardize on-time performance to dispatch/route schedules and commitments. You will also work toward supporting the success of Herman Miller Performance System (HMPS) initiatives.
- Drive a diesel powered semi-tractor with trailer (80,000# gross vehicle weight, 10 speed transmission, roll up or swing doors on trailer) while in a geographic radius of 75 miles of West Michigan production/warehouse locations.
- Electronically communicate data that may be required in Mobile Data Terminals located in the truck. You'll also participate in Driver pod sessions, training, meetings, etc.
- Maintain a professional image that promotes the corporate culture and community of Herman Miller.
- Perform additional responsibilities as requested to achieve business objectives.
- Support overall department goals related to on-time/predictable performance, costs, and equipment utilization. You will remain flexible around scheduled work hours to support the daily completion of dispatches/routes, Saturday production, and attendance at team meetings and training sessions.
- Transport components and products to and from Herman Miller suppliers, manufacturing sites, and distribution centers. You may occasionally make deliveries to the end customer.
- Work safely and meet all federal, state, and local regulations regarding licensing, paperwork (pre/post vehicle inspection, Driver Log, etc.), and roadway/equipment requirements. You will consistently be exposed to close dock work between docks and trailer pads.
You might be just who we’re looking for if you have...
Who We Are
- Two years of current experience as a semi truck driver, and you are CDL licensed. City driving experience is preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of federal and state DOT regulations regarding motor carrier operations.
- Good geographical knowledge of West Michigan.
- Excellent communication skills and a friendly, customer-oriented personality.
- A willingness to learn, accept new challenges, and be a team player.
- The ability to pass a driving skills test and drug/alcohol screening and to maintain a clean driving record.
- A minimal MVR record (for new hires). Established drivers must maintain under 4 points.
At Herman Miller, our unique culture represents the collective attitudes, ideas, and experiences of the people who work here. We focus on protecting the environment, impacting our communities, exceeding the expectations of our customers through high quality products, and championing diversity in all areas of the business, and together we are on a journey toward a better world. We support the well-being of our employees in and outside of work by providing a variety of opportunities including award-winning work-life integration resources, development programs, complex health and wellness offerings, and much more.
Herman Miller is a globally recognized provider of furnishings and related technologies and services. Headquartered in West Michigan, we have relied on innovative design for over 100 years to solve problems for people wherever they work, live, learn, and heal.
Herman Miller is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer including veterans and people with disabilities.