Who we are:
Steelcase was founded as an office furniture maker, and we've evolved into the global leader in workplace solutions. We apply our insights to the intersection of space, technology, and furniture, helping individuals and teams in leading companies around the world to have a better day at work.
We pursue innovation, strive for sustainability and develop insights in every part of our business.
Why people choose to work with us:
As a student associate in Surface Materials, you can expect to learn a broad base of business skills, not just marketing. This will be attained through support of sample portfolio, learning supply chain, reporting (financial analysis), working in a true team environment, and time management.
What you will be doing:
Your goal in this position is to help support and execute the surface materials strategy.
How will you meet this goal?
· Do you love deep-diving into topics through research? You will complete competitive analyses, looking at what competition does in relation to surface materials.
· Supporting sample portfolio management. You will work with product managers and senior specialist by communicating with suppliers to obtain material samples, organizing materials labeling, cutting purchase orders, and data entry to fulfillment house systems.
· You will collaborate with Project Management. Some physical responsibilities of materials and handling their logistics (maximum of 30 lbs.)
· Does global engagement spark your interest? There may be opportunity for cross-cultural interactions with teams in Europe and Asia.
Who you are:
- You’re humble, willing, fearless, and intuitive.
- You’re the team member on a group project that initiates the conversation and is willing to help others on top of your own responsibilities.
- You may know the answer in a group discussion, but you don’t make those who don’t feel bad.
- You’re involved on campus and are the creative thinker of your organization.
- You can take constructive criticism and apply it, but you’re also capable of giving it.
- You love other cultures and want to learn more about them (global aptitude/ cultural intelligence.)
- You have previous work experience in a business environment.
- Majors: Business, Marketing, Finance, Supply Chain, Merchandising
- Preferred Year: Junior Year (Spring/ Winter 2021 expected graduation date).
- Hard Skills: Excel (Pivot Tables), PowerPoint, exposure to SAP, exposure to Outlook
- Expected Start Date: April/ May 2020
This role is year-round. Expected work hours are 15-20 per week, on-site (Grand Rapids) during the school year, but we are flexible and will work around your class schedule. Hours are full-time (40 hours) during the summer.
Your Future Team:
Surface Materials owns the “aesthetics” of our furniture offerings. We are an essential, core aspect of our organization and business model. We lead all textures, samples, fabrics, and all components of their processes for our furniture products. We are outgoing, composed of 8 employees locally (Grand Rapids) and 10 total globally. We have strong personalities but are fun and relaxed.
We are proud to have a diverse and inclusive workforce, and we're always looking to get better. We value applicants who are comfortable interacting with people different than themselves. Women, people of any race or national origin, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people, veterans, working mothers and fathers, and everyone else are all invited to apply.
We seek to find the best person to fill this role and will not discriminate based on race, color, creed, genetic information, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by law.