Infection Preventionist - Infection Control * Days - 40hrs/wk
Requisition #: req1407
FTE status: 1
The Infection Preventionist is responsible for collecting and monitoring surveillance data to identify Infection Prevention problems, actual or potential, conduct a root cause analysis, formulate action plans, and implement/evaluate plans of action in response to them. The Infection Preventionist also assesses the educational needs of all health personnel, patients/significant others and assists in development of educational programs related to Infection Prevention issues. Collaborative participation with other departments to maintain a safe environment is an expectation.
- Baccalaureate degree in Nursing, Medical Technology, Medical Microbiology, or related field.
- Two years of hospital experience in Infection Prevention, Nursing, Clinical Laboratory, or epidemiology.
- Certification as a Medical Technologist by the American Society of Pathologist (ASCP), or licensed as a Registered Nurse by the State of Michigan.
- Knowledge of medical microbiology, medical terminology, pharmacology, statistics, and clinical diagnosis/epidemiology of infectious disease.
- Certification by the Certification Board for Infection Control (CBIC) preferred.
- Ability to maintain involved records and to prepare accurate reports and tabulations.
- Ability to work independently, set priorities and organize work while maintaining flexibility.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Collects and monitors surveillance data from microbiology lab, diagnostic studies, patients, members of the health care team, medical records, clinical surveys, and/or autopsy reports to identify infection prevention problems. Maintains data in Infection Prevention office either as a hardcopy or enters in database and accesses as needed.
- Participates in process improvement studies and utilizes research findings to advance the level of practice.
- Assesses the educational needs of all health care personnel, patients/significant others and develops and presents educational programs related to Infection Prevention issues.
- Conducts root cause analysis and implements and evaluates plans of action in response to potential/actual infection prevention problems/trends affecting patients and/or staff.
- Signs off and monitors all construction to ensure compliance with Infection Prevention standards.
- Performs Environmental Rounds to ensure compliance with Infection Prevention standards.
- Communicates, collaborates and acts as a consultant on infection prevention issues, working with the Infection Prevention Committee, other team members and the community to develop plans of care/goals consistent with infection prevention principles.
- Collaborates with all hospital departments and the infection prevention team to incorporate infection prevention principles into policies and procedures specific to each department.
- Documents and communicates communicable disease information to appropriate department managers, physicians, agencies, etc., and maintains records of same.
- Participates in hospital committees as a member and/or consultant on infection prevention issues.
- Maintains knowledge of current trends and developments in the field through reading, and attending related conferences, seminars, etc.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with all levels of the health system and to deal courteously with the public, health system personnel, medical staff, and accreditations/regulatory bodies.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.