Under the supervision of the Senior Director of Clinical Services, the nurse is responsible for the promotion of health for individuals, families, and children through triage, assessment, treatment, and referral. The nurse is also responsible for assessment and monitoring of guests entering our Mel Trotter Sobering Center and Detoxification Program, and addressing the acute medical and behavioral health needs of emergency shelter and program guests. Shift differential offered for overnights, weekends.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the applicable state professional practice guidelines for licensed practical or registered professional nurses.
- Address the medical and behavioral health needs of emergency shelter and program guests using critical reasoning skills and ethical judgment.
- Respond to medical and behavioral health emergencies in the mission and summon EMS when appropriate.
- Ensure confidentiality of patient health information in adherence with HIPAA standards and regulations.
- Perform nursing assessments, offer first aid, assist with dressing changes, and administer other treatments in accordance with nursing scope of practice.
- Assist guests with health education, disease prevention, medication management, and self-management of chronic conditions.
- Develop and maintain a plan of care for medically complex guests.
- Collaborate with the onsite medical clinic team with care coordination, referral and follow-up.
- Distribute over the counter medications for self-administration as indicated.
- Educate guests on available community and support services.
- Monitor guests in the Sobering Center and detoxification program for changes in condition.
- Assess guests entering the Sobering Center for readiness to change.
- Document guest encounters in case management software and electronic health record.
· Advocate on behalf of the guest through collaboration with intake specialist and case management teams, and outside agencies.
- Provide assistance to Human Resources team with pre-employment screenings and annual flu vaccine clinics.
· Support the RN team lead with data collection and data entry, and quality improvement activities
· Current State of Michigan RN or LPN License
· Current CPR Certification, or certification within 30 days of hire
· Minimum 3 years of clinical experience, preferred
· De-escalation Training within 6 months of hire
· Proficiency with Word and electronic health records, preferred
· Strong triage and clinical thinking skills
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Models professionalism, compassion, and flexibility
· Regular standing, walking, climbing, crouching, bending, pushing, or pulling
· Understand, speak, read, and write fluent English
· Ability to communicate verbally and to accurately hear, with hearing correction
· Ability to see 20/20, with vision correction
· Able to lift up to 50 pounds occasionally, and up to 35 pounds regularly
· Able to use fine motor hand functions
· Frequently exposed to varying temperatures from below 32 degrees to above 80 degrees
Mel Trotter Ministries Staff Attributes
We expect all staff to project and exemplify passion to a faith-based approach to advocacy for the guests, to be humble, supportive team players, who acknowledge their own gifts and those of others, are truthfully transparent, seek input from others, admit and learn from mistakes, are highly coachable and approachable. We expect a hungry, innovative, goal-oriented, eager contributor, who shows a dedicated work ethic. We expect our staff to exhibit empathy, compassion, active listening, to be self- aware, sensitive across racial, class and cultural lines, ethical, and approachable. We look for work habits of punctuality, dependability, accountability, responsibility, cooperation, team participation, integrity, problem solving, and overall positivity.
These attributes, combined with the performance of one’s duties and achievement of goals will be equated with the quality of one’s overall job performance. Please refer to them often and feel free to ask for feedback on these areas regularly.