About our Culture
Who is Mel Trotter Ministries?
We are innovative, empathetic and compassionate difference-makers. We dream and dare more for MTM because all of God’s people deserve more. We walk alongside people as they transform their lives. Do you share our innovative and driven love of people, and do you want to make a difference? Join our team! Together and through the power of Christ, we can do immeasurably more to solve homelessness in our community.
You belong here if:
You are called to make an impact in greater Grand Rapids.
You are called to help men, women and children overcome homelessness.
You see value and potential in every human being no matter how broken they are.
You rejoice in seeing lives transformed forever.
You are called to demonstrate the compassion of Jesus to everyone.
Our staff exemplify passion to a faith-based approach to advocacy for the guests. They are humble, supportive team players, who acknowledge their own gifts and those of others, are truthfully transparent, seek input from others, admit and learn from mistakes, are highly coachable and approachable. Our staff are hungry, innovative, goal-oriented, eager contributors, who show a dedicated work ethic. They exhibit empathy, compassion, active listening, and self- awareness. They are sensitive across racial, class and cultural lines, ethical, and approachable. They exhibit work habits of punctuality, dependability, accountability, responsibility, cooperation, team participation, integrity, problem solving, and overall positivity.
About the Position
Medical Assistant – Full Time
This position supports the Clinic Coordinator and RN Team Lead in the Community Partners Medical Clinic under the direction of the Director of Clinical Services. The medical assistant is primarily responsible for scheduling, check-in, rooming, and check-out of guests who are seen in the medical clinic. Secondary responsibilities include supporting other clinic staff members in the daily operations of the medical clinic.
We will trust you with: (Job Responsibilities)
* Schedule appointments and maintain appointment log.
* Answer and route phone calls in a timely manner.
* Assist patients with linkage to specialists and community resources.
* Conduct follow-up and reminder phone calls and in-person contacts with guests.
* Complete patient registration, check-in, rooming, and check-out procedures.
* Perform and document vital signs and assessments into electronic health record.
* Assure proper management of personal health information in accordance with HIPAA regulations.
* Conduct basic laboratory testing, including urinalysis and finger stick blood glucose.
* Maintain a sanitary and safe environment for example; restocking and cleaning exam rooms, sweeping floors, and emptying trash when needed.
* Promptly report staff or patient concerns to the RN Team Lead or Director of Clinical Services.
* Support the RN team lead and clinic coordinator with donation/inventory management and maintenance, and other duties as assigned.
* Assist RN team lead with medical volunteer orientation and scheduling.
* Monitor and make recommendations for patient tracking, patient records management, and data collection.
* Attend all-staff meetings and mandatory training sessions.
* Assist RN team lead and staff in the Public Inebriate Shelter as needed.
Bring your strengths: (Job Requirements)
* Medical Assistant Certification
* Minimum of one year clinical experience as a medical assistant in an outpatient setting.
* Current CPR Certification or certification within 30 days of hire.
* Strong written and verbal communication skills
* Attention to details
* Proficiency with EPIC preferable
* Crisis intervention or de-escalation training within six months of hire
* Bilingual in Spanish, a plus
* Regular standing, walking, climbing, crouching, bending, pushing, or pulling
* Understand, speak, read, and write fluent English
* Ability to communicate verbally and to accurately hear, with hearing correction
* Ability to see 20/20, with vision correction
* Able to lift up to 50 pounds occasionally, and up to 35 pounds regularly
* Able to use fine motor hand functions
* Frequently exposed to varying temperatures from below 32 degrees to above 80 degrees