Manager 1 - Specialty Care Services - Enterprises Neuro * Days - 40hrs/wk.
The Specialty Care Services Manager is accountable for overseeing the clinical and financial operations of the assigned specialty service lines. Serves as a liaison between the physicians, staff, and the executive leadership team of Metro Health - University of Michigan Health. Integrates operational, financial and clinical management to optimize organizational effectiveness, planning, organizing, controlling and evaluating the clinical care, achievement of budgeted objectives and development and achievement of financial, staffing and quality benchmarks.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Masters degree preferred.
- Zero to three (0-3) years of progressively more responsible health care management experience required.
- Outstanding grasp of management concepts and processes.
- Thorough understanding of project management phases, techniques and tools
- Able to work effectively and efficiently toward goals in a complex, diverse environment with multiple and changing demands
- Demonstrated aptitude for change management and effective leadership
- Demonstrates a high level of leadership skills to effectively interface between the hospital, medical staff, and Administration.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Within the parameters of the mission, policies and goals of Metro Health – University of Michigan Health, provides necessary leadership to implement the directives and programs of assigned specialty service line(s).
- In collaboration with the Specialty Director, designs, implements and restructures as necessary, programs to appropriately maximize reimbursement and assure reasonable financial performance through effective utilization of physical and financial resources.
- Creates and maintains an operational environment which fosters cooperation among staff and related organizations, through representative multi-disciplinary committees and meetings.
- In collaboration with the Specialty Director, responsible for designing, implementing and overseeing operational and capital budgets.
- Monitors departmental productivity and effectiveness and produces meaningful scorecards. Determines and maintains appropriate staffing levels (productivity) and oversees the day to day staffing operations and schedules.
- Facilitates and ensures the development, implementation, evaluation and updating of standards of practice for assigned clinical areas. Ensures records and standards meet or exceed the requirements of HFAP, state and federal regulatory and reimbursement agencies.
- Interviews, hires, supervises and evaluates assigned personnel. Supports peer interviewing, employee rounding, and 6 month check-in conversations. Oversees the planning of appropriate orientation, on-boarding and continuing education programs.
- Serves as a liaison to other departments, administration and the medical staff to facilitate information sharing and problem solving.
- Creates and implements an annual quality plan and reviews and approves annual department quality plans and supports a culture of safety.
- Facilitates the development of supervisors, leads, and other personnel through mentoring and role modeling of the Best Practice Standards. Establishes a system for communication and problem solving among leadership to assure continuity of patient care.
- Assists Clinical Coordinators and Educators to assess staff’s education needs and oversees the planning of appropriate orientation and continuing education programs.
- Develops and maintains effective communication mechanisms on the unit with staff, physicians, patients/significant others, and between the unit and other departments.
- Develops job descriptions and performance standards for employees, establishes effective control, monitoring and reporting mechanisms for the development and maintenance of standards, staff performance and patient care activities. Creates a culture of ownership at the staff level to the department standards and goals.
- Develops and maintains effective working relationships with all members of the health team in the hospital and in the community and collaborates with physician colleagues and medical directors.
- Performs other duties as assigned. These may including, but are not limited to: Maintaining a current knowledge of current developments in healthcare and participates in the coordination of changes in operations due to regulatory decisions, technology, or changes in service delivery, pursuing self-directed learning and continuing education opportunities, participates in and presents at seminars / educational programs, and participating on committees, task forces, and work groups.
Requisition #: req3633FTE status: 1