Today, with our current team members, we have the strength to help you grow in any career direction you want, whether in our stores, distribution centers, manufacturing facilities or our Midwest corporate offices. It's your future, maybe it starts with Meijer.This is not just your typical Corporate Tax Department role . . . with a focus on process improvement and automation, you will leverage technology, curiosity, and problem solving to uncover opportunities and provide clarity to business leaders.
This position it responsible for driving process improvements, preparing tax returns and payment requests, and analyzing detailed data and summary results.
What You'll be Doing:
- Actively identify, collaborate and implement process improvements and automation opportunities for all areas within Corporate Tax Dept., including the use of robotic process automation technology and data management.
- Prepare various tax returns filed by the Tax Dept. Responsibilities include fuel tax and excise returns and miscellaneous tax filings, as well as the general ledger account reconciliations related to these filings. Responsible for timely and accurate returns and payments where delays or incorrect filings will generate fines and penalties from the Federal, state and local tax authorities.
- Provide support to ensure full legal compliance for all ad valorem tax return filings, audits, and bill payments. Preparation of abatements and exemption applications.
- Review detail and analyze summary data to determine the proper tax reporting and treatment. Investigate discrepancies, research the corresponding tax law, and make adjustments to the accruals and tax returns accordingly. Seek to prevent any issues from repeating in the future.
- Serve as point of contact for Meijer team members throughout the company when fuel, excise or property tax questions arise. Collaborate with Meijer team members, with suppliers, and with taxing authorities to provide/obtain information or resolve tax issues.
- Stay up to date with changes in various tax laws, adapt procedures when applicable, and communicate changes to the appropriate business customers
- Assist in responding to tax notices, inquiries and audit procedures by gathering data, researching how applicable tax laws apply to Meijer’s facts, and performing numerical analyses.
What You Bring with You (Qualifications):
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field
- CPA certification a plus.
- High proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite and the ability to quickly learn additional systems as required for the position, including Alteryx and UiPath.
- Continuous process improvement mindset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational, presentation and documentation skills.
- Effective analytical skills for the resolution of relatively complex problems. Ability to constructively approach problems that don’t have clear solutions or outcomes.
- Ability to build partnerships and work collaboratively with the key business areas and with contacts outside of Meijer.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects, meeting tight deadlines in a fast- paced environment.
- Must be self-motivated with a desire to continuously learn.