About our Culture
Who is Mel Trotter Ministries?
We are innovative, empathetic and compassionate difference-makers. We dream and dare more for MTM because all of God’s people deserve more. We walk alongside people as they transform their lives. Do you share our innovative and driven love of people, and do you want to make a difference? Join our team! Together and through the power of Christ, we can do immeasurably more to solve homelessness in our community.
You belong here if:
You are called to make an impact in greater Grand Rapids.
You are called to help men, women and children overcome homelessness.
You see value and potential in every human being no matter how broken they are.
You rejoice in seeing lives transformed forever.
You are called to demonstrate the compassion of Jesus to everyone.
Our staff exemplify passion to a faith-based approach to advocacy for the guests. They are humble, supportive team players, who acknowledge their own gifts and those of others, are truthfully transparent, seek input from others, admit and learn from mistakes, are highly coachable and approachable. Our staff are hungry, innovative, goal-oriented, eager contributors, who show a dedicated work ethic. They exhibit empathy, compassion, active listening, and self- awareness. They are sensitive across racial, class and cultural lines, ethical, and approachable. They exhibit work habits of punctuality, dependability, accountability, responsibility, cooperation, team participation, integrity, problem solving, and overall positivity.
About the Position
LPN/RN – Per Diem
This position is responsible for providing triage of medical complaints, First Aid and CPR, and a medical assessment of Guests brought into the Public Inebriate Program via EMS, police or walking in on their own. The nurse also responds to all medical emergencies that occur in the building.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We will trust you with: (Job Responsibilities)
* Admission/discharge of guests in the Public Inebriate shelter, expert use of exclusion criteria, when appropriate
* Observe guests for medical emergencies, initiate CPR/AED as needed, take and monitor vital signs
* Encourage guests to remain until they are sober enough to be safe and fully responsible for themselves.
* Maintain order in the Public Inebriate Shelter; use verbally de-escalation techniques
* Assist in maintaining a clean, sanitary, and safe environment for our guests; for example, sweeping floors, removing garbage, making beds, doing the laundry, etc.
* Answer emergency calls throughout the shelter
* Assist in providing TB skin tests, drug screens
* Provide patient care using critical reasoning skills and ethical judgement that supports a safe standard of care, advocacy for patients in an alternative healthcare environment
* Maintain accurate guest records, using approved platforms and guidelines
* Participate in all mandatory meetings and in-service training sessions.
Bring your strengths: (Job Requirements)
* Current CPR Certification, Certification for administering lab tests (TB, Drug Screen)
* Able to perform two cycles to current AHA/ARC standard
* Ability to take vital signs which include blood pressure, pulse, respiration, and temperature (or capable of training)
* Prefer minimum 3 years of experience
* Effective team player, yet highly effective and production when working solo shifts.
* Desire and capability to relate effectively with chemically dependent persons
* Strong, effective communicator with guests, co-workers, medical personnel, law enforcement
* Knowledge of symptoms which indicate medical emergencies (or capable of training)
* Crisis intervention training and/or experience, including de-escalation training
* Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, and guest record-keeping software platforms
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills, professional business writing
* Models professionalism
* Regular standing, walking, climbing, crouching, bending, pushing, or pulling
* Understand, speak, read, and write fluent English
* Required to talk and hear
* Able to lift up to 50 lbs.
* Able to use fine motor hand functions
* Frequently exposed to varying temperatures from below 32 degrees to above 80 degrees