Central Processing Tech - Lead - Central Processing Dept. * Evenings - 40 hrs/wk
The Lead Technician assumes responsibility for work assignments of Central Processing Technicians on their shift. The lead tech will supervise and coordinate the activities of the other technician’s performance and be able to demonstrate all aspects of Central Processing Department (CPD); decontamination, assembly, sterilization, sterile storage and distribution of instrumentation and medical supplies procedures in accordance with hospital policies. The position also acts as liaison to the CPD Manager, CPD staff members and surgery. Physical activity may involve lifting of 20-50 pound instrument trays or sets, walking, pushing and pulling of carts and equipment. Demonstrate strong leadership skills. Occasionally works overtime.
- High school diploma, (GED) or equivalent. Vocational school. One year prior experience in Central Processing is required, certification is required, or in process of obtaining. Must be certified within 3 months of hire. Must obtain certification for Certified Instrument Specialist within 6 months of hire.
- Knowledge of sterile or aseptic technique.
- Knowledge of decontamination and sterilization principles.
- Must be accurate and willing to follow set rules and standards of practice.
- Able to work with a sense of urgency while maintaining accuracy.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills. Never demonstrates an “It’s not my job” attitude. Is a team player.
- Self-motivated, self-directed, and assumes responsibility for actions.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm, looks for ways to improve job and department. Is enthusiastic about the success of co-workers.
- Identifies functional instrument system problems and assists in the resolution of the problems.
- Informs CPD staff on instrument status daily and as needed.
- Demonstrates commitment to group goals, Metro Health’s goals, missions & values and teamwork.
- Participate in the quality improvement plan as directed by the CPD Manager. Monitors quality issues and identifies them to the CPD Manager.
- Knowledgeable of computers and data entry.
- Must show proficiency in Critical Thinking Skills
- Certification in Central Service Technician required within 3months of
hire. Certification in Instrument Specialist required within 6 months of hire
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for work assignments of CPD Technicians on their shift and may be responsible for scheduling in response to ill calls.
- Responsible for the workflow on their shift and assuring completion of all work. If the third shift staff member calls in the Lead Tech is responsible for assigning the work to assure completion of instruments for the next day’s surgery schedule, as well as reassigning the completion of biological testing to be completed prior to the last staff member’s end of shift.
- Mentors new employees during orientation or may delegate this responsibility to other staff members.
- Provides assistance in orientation of CPD staff on new systems and procedures in coordination with the CPD Manger and Surgical Service educator.
- Must be able to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and be responsible for work assignments of CPD technicians on their shift to ensure the completion of work. Communicates to the next shift what needs to be done for the next day’s surgery schedule.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills between staff members, CPD Manager and surgery department, when necessary. Demonstrate strong and effective leadership skills.
- Must be able to efficiently rotate through all workstations and perform all CPD functions and assorted support duties. Develops and maintains effective interdepartmental and intradepartmental communication.
- Accurately cleans and sorts all soiled instrumentation, drills, scopes and other medical equipment entering the decontamination area. Universal/Standard Precautions must be adhered to at all times. Able to operate the washer / decontaminator, scope washer, steris, cart washer, and sterilizers.
- Perform proper principals and strict techniques of sterilization. Keep and maintain daily records of testing results of BI's and BOWIE-DICK tests. Make the necessary follow up actions when needed.
- Assures proper assembly, wrapping and packaging of instrumentation according to count sheets. Inspects all instruments for good working condition. Uses appropriate chemical integrator for sterilization method used. Assures proper load tracking by using labels on instrument sets.
- Assists in additional duties as identified by CPD Manager and Director of Surgical Services.
- Inventories stock and non-stock supplies and implants. Maintains appropriate par levels and orders, as needed stock and non-stock supplies.
- Interacts with purchasing and vendors in CPD as necessary.
- Adheres to the hospital policies and procedures. Incorporates the hospital values into work practices. Adheres to Metro’s Behavioral Standards and is a role model of these standards to all staff members.
- Gives input to the CPD Manager in evaluating employee’s performance as needed.
Category: Health Care
Requisition #: req2626FTE status: 1