Surgical Technologist - Operating Room * Days - 40hrs/wk
Requisition #: req118
FTE status: 1
The Surgical Technologist is a member of the operating room team who has the necessary knowledge and ability to anticipate the needs of the surgeon during surgical procedures and to maintain constant vigil of the sterile field.
- Successful completion of a surgical technologist program with eligibility for surgical technologist certification required. Currently employed Surgical Tech staff may have the following qualifications: Licensed Practical Nurse with surgical technologist experience.
- Current Basic Life Saving certification.
- Surgical technologist certification preferred.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- CLINICAL—Check physician profiles with the supplies on the procedural case carts to assure all necessary items are available for all procedures.
- CLINICAL—Apply the principles of asepsis in setting up and maintaining the sterile field.
- CLINICAL—Demonstrate knowledge of the sequence of events for surgical procedures.
- CLINICAL—Display working knowledge of and dexterity in the use of required instrumentation and equipment.
- PATIENT RIGHTS—Demonstrate awareness of and sensitivity to patient and family rights as identified in hospital policy.
- SAFETY—Apply safety principles as identified by the hospital and Surgery Department.
- EMERGENCY RESPONSE—Demonstrate understanding of appropriate emergency responses during scheduled and on-call hours.
- EMERGENCY RESPONSE—Remain calm and function competently during emergency surgeries.
- KNOWLEDGE BASE—Assume responsibility for knowledge of and adherence to approved hospital policies,Structure and Process Standards for the Surgery Department.
- ACCOUNTABILITY—Practice according to the standards of practice outlined by the Association of Surgical Technologists.
- SELF-DEVELOPMENT—Participate in inserivce programs and continuing education activities to meet hospital and Surgery Department requirements.
- GOAL ATTAINMENT—Participate in development of and attainment of self, department and nursing services goals and objectives.
- QUALITY/STANDARDS—Participate in department standards development on a voluntary basis.
- QUALITY/STANDARDS—Participate in data collection for quality assurance.
- COMMUNICATION—Communicate pertinent information, problems, concerns or ideas to appropriate persons, following the line of authority, in a timely and effective manner.
- WORKING RELATIONSHIPS—Cooperate with and assist members of the surgical team.
- FLEXIBILITY—Remain flexible in cooperation with shift scheduling needs for the Surgery Department.