Ambulatory Care Management Coordinator - Nursing * Days - 40hrs/wk
Requisition #: req1791
FTE status: 1
The Ambulatory Care Coordinator – Nursing is a Registered Nurse leader who assists in the management of the Ambulatory RN Care Management team and coordinates the care management services provided to adult and pediatric patients in an ambulatory setting. This position serves as community resource expert and care coordinator across the continuum of care. The Ambulatory Care Manager - RN optimizes care by engaging patients in the principles of self-management, goal setting and continuous improvement. This integral role expands primary care’s scope of practice by focusing on patient’s biopsychosocial needs to ensure the delivery of comprehensive, efficient and quality care.
- Michigan Registered Professional Nurse licensure required
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing required.
- Master of Science in Nursing or related field, preferred
- Certification in Case Management, preferred (ACM or CCM)
- Demonstrated leadership
- Previous experience in the Care Management preferred.
Essential functions and Responsibilities:
- Assists with scheduling staff based on budgeted FTEs, skill mix, patient needs, and coverage.
- Facilitates daily operations of the department.
- Manages appropriate staff resources and allocate departmental based activity and budgeted hours in various care areas.
- Provides clinical direction, evaluate staff performance, and complete evaluations on time according to schedule.
- Performs daily maintenance and payroll processes of time and attendance.
- With the oversight of the Manager, assists with departmental budget and demonstrates fiscal responsibility and stewardship.
- Functions as a role model, demonstrating expertise in clinical judgment, system navigation, and execution of the nursing process within this context.
- Receives and acts on referrals for moderate and complex patients through risk stratification, registries and provider referrals
- Recommends treatment plans based on evidence based guidelines
- Educates patients on preventive health, chronic illness and recommended treatments
- Provides care coordination and follow-up for chronic medical conditions across the continuum of care
- Follows patients longitudinally to evaluate treatment goals
- Advocates for patients and family while maintaining professional boundaries
- Educates and supports patients in the use of self-management techniques and develops action plans to encourage self-care
- Facilitates transitions of care for admitted and discharged patients from the hospital or emergency department to ensure continuity of care
- Consults with members of the care team throughout the continuum on treatment plans and follow-up care
- Mentors staff in the Ambulatory RN Care Management role, promotes team collaboration, and appropriate delegation.
- Functions in a direct Nurse Care Manager role approximately 50% of the time.
- Participates and serves on committees, task forces, and work groups at the department and hospital level as determined by the Manager.
- Assists in the development, maintenance and revision of departmental standards, policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Demonstrates knowledge and consistently applies departmental policies.
- Demonstrates knowledge of professional standards of care.
- Supports professional growth and staff development of all departmental employees.
- Collaborate effectively with departmental team, departmental leadership, other departments, physicians, and senior leadership.
- Manages situations in a high level of autonomy and in an effort to maximize patient and staff safety and minimize risk.
- COMMUNICATION / CUSTOMER SERVICE
- Demonstrates clear and effective communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Demonstrates effective conflict resolution skills.
- Appropriately utilizes and promotes the use of the chain of command.
- Demonstrates and promotes excellent customer service
- Demonstrates knowledge of and respect for patients', families', and employees' rights, including confidentiality.
- QUALITY / OUTCOMES
- Assist in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of quality management, infection control, and survey readiness activities.
- Actively promotes safety initiatives within department.
- Performs audits, as needed, to ensure compliance with nursing standards and policy.
- Achieves professional development goals as set in previous evaluation or counseling session with Manager.
- Independently manages mandatory education and competency requirements.
- Demonstrates accountability for own professionalism including appearance, attendance, efficient use of time, attitude, and organization of personal work area.
- Exemplifies the Best Practice Standards
- Supports change process and mentors others in the change process.
- Performs other duties as assigned. These may include but are not limited to: Maintaining a current knowledge base of department processes, protocols and procedures, pursuing self-directed learning and continuing education opportunities, and participating on committees, task forces, and work groups as determined by management.