Job title: Chemistry Research Scientist – Pharmacognosy
Department / Division: Chemistry Investigations and Micro / New Ventures Science & Systems
Location: Ada, MI
What’s special about this team:
The Chemistry Investigations and Micro (CIM) dept., in the Division of New Ventures Science & Systems, is a special group within Innovation & Science at Amway, that provides credible, scientific solutions that advance a portfolio of high-quality products and ideas. This division has groups of talented scientists who provide bioassay support, analytical chemistry and chromatography oversight, investigation (forensics) and microbiology support, to product development teams. Our high-quality Amway products, and the active ingredients that make them unique, are supported by research this team provides. Their work is crucial to the discovery and development of new products. Your work on this team will be focused on botanicals and other functional actives for use in both nutrition and beauty ingredients. You will create innovative science concepts during discovery and ideation phases, which will be instrumental in offering innovative and exciting products that fuel sales success and growth for our global Amway Business Owners (ABO’s).
How you would contribute to the role:
Amway/Nutrilite is heavily invested in natural ingredients, and your role will support the development of our botanical infrastructure necessary to discover and develop new nutritional products, dietary supplements and personal care products. This industrial position aligns under our corporate goal of driving efficacy and safety-driven selection of botanicals. Working with a collaborative, multi-disciplinary global team that includes analytical, biology, formulation, clinical scientists, product developers, agriculture scientists and statisticians, you will support the delivery of new and innovative science-based health and beauty products. You will partner with Agricultural teams and Plant Agricultural Innovation to support for concept, ideation, strategy and development of global botanical ingredients. Your work will impact exciting product options that our ABO’s want to sell, and consumers want to buy, delighting customers and contributing to sales growth. In addition, your strong experience in establishing and executing laboratory research activities to fulfill international regulatory mandates will be helpful. Your background in research publications with reputed international journals will confirm your expertise in this space. If you love pharmacognosy/natural products chemistry, you will be at home in a company whose foundation is established around, health, wellness, and botanical ingredients.
What skills and background will be important to be successful:
- PhD and/or Post-doctoral candidate in the filed of pharmacognosy/natural products chemistry
- Experience with phytochemistry, bioactive natural products
- Foundational experience with dietary supplements and the skin care industry desirable
- Working knowledge with a wide range of separation and extraction techniques under various conditions of solvent/temperature
- Background with standardization for novel extracts, purification & characterization of botanical compounds
- Experience with traditional herbs from around the world with knowledge of phytochemical processing, and harvest optimization of phytochemicals from botanicals.
- Experience in botanical / phytochemical research related to pharmacognosy and/or Consumer products related forensic investigation