Clinical Secretary II - Telemetry * Nights - 12hrs/wk (SIGN-ON BONUS ELIGIBLE)
The Clinical Secretary II functions as the focal communication point in the department and is responsible for all clerical and receptionist activities. The Clinical Secretary II also monitors the cardiac telemetry screens for changes in rate and rhythm and responds appropriately.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Minimum one year work experience in hospital or
- Typing, word processing, data entry experience
- Proficiency with medical terminology-preferred.
- Excellent customer service skills and communication skills (oral and
- Ability to organize, prioritize and perform duties in an independent
manner with little supervision required.
- Ability to adjust to constant changing working situations required.
- Competence in basic cardiac dysrhythmia interpretation required, will
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- MEDICAL RECORD—Maintain the integrity of each patient’s medical record. This responsibility includes assembling the paper components of the medical record upon admission, which includes scanning appropriate documentation into the electronic medical record, print necessary patient identification (i.e. labels, wristbands, stickers, etc…); keeping the chart in the appropriate, functional order as prescribed by hospital and department policy; filing diagnostic reports in the chart; witnessing consent forms; monitoring the location of charts at all times.
- COMMUNICATION—communicating orders and information to other departments via the appropriate method (phone, fax, pneumatic tube system, computer message); scheduling procedures with outside agencies; initiating appropriate forms for admission, discharge, transfer and consultation for use by other healthcare team members; placing orders for special equipment and supplies; processing charges and credits for ordered supplies and equipment; and continually reviewing unprocessed orders.
- PATIENT INFORMATION COORDINATION—Maintain current patient information to facilitate efficient and safe patient care delivery. This responsibility includes updating communication boards and/or log books about patient location, test results, admission, discharge, transfer, scheduled procedures, etc.; updating patient information in the computer system; collaborate with admissions, discharges and transfers with all other appropriate departments; and scheduling procedures and transfers with outside agencies, coordinating clinical needs as required.
- RECEPTIONIST—Assist internal and external customers who enter or call the department. This responsibility includes greeting and directing patients, visitors and hospital personnel; receiving phone calls and directing them appropriately; answering patient call lights and directing the requests appropriately; facilitate the communication regarding patient care activities and patient location, and providing information and direction regarding the same; refering requests from patients and family members to nursing staff or other appropriate personnel; facilitate communication coordinator during emergency situations, STAT requests and orders; and communicating messages and patient care information to the appropriate people. Demonstrate expertise in all communication venues, including phone, computer, pagers, vocera, patient call system, bed management system, copier, and fax and pneumatic tube system.
- CARDIAC MONITORING—Monitor cardiac telemetry screens for changes in rate and rhythm and respond appropriately. This responsibility includes recognizing and identifying cardiac rhythms; notifying the Registered Nurse of any changes, abnormalities or alarms and generating a strip for documentation; generating routine rhythm strips, and additional strips as directed by the Registered Nurse; changing monitoring parameters as directed by the Registered Nurse; troubleshooting monitor problems and notifying Clinical Engineering when necessary; and cleaning the monitor when telemetry is discontinued.
- WORK STATION—Maintain a clean, safe and efficient workstation for all members of the healthcare team to facilitate flow of patient care activities; maintaining adequate quantities of forms, supplies, and equipment; and maintaining equipment in the proper working order.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Registered Nurse in charge to facilitate department efficiency.
- Participate on department or hospital committees as requested.
- Attend and participate in inservices and meetings related to job description.
- Demonstrate flexibility in staffing patterns and resolution of staffing conflicts.
- Participate in temporary assignment measures, including floating to other departments and working various shifts.
Category: Health Care, Customer Service, Admin & Clerical
Requisition #: req4251FTE status: 0.3