You can make a salary. Or you can make a difference. Or you can work as a Global Brand Editorial Director at Herman Miller and make both.
About this Opportunity
As a Global Brand Editorial Director, you'll lead total Editorial direction for Brand and Contract businesses for Herman Miller and Herman Miller Group. You will shape, synthesize, and ultimately drive the team to deliver content that builds a consistent and premium brand perception and drives preference. You'll lead the voice and manage the full Editorial and Writing teams. You will partner with Editorial Leads across brands and businesses to implement standards and practices. You'll prioritize the work of all resources (external/internal) and align with global leaders to leverage content across the organization. You'll also partner with Brand and Communications to evolve Herman Miller Group voice and Herman Miller brand communications.
What You'll Do
You'll have opportunities to speak up, solve problems, lead others, and be an owner every day as you...
- Direct and evolve verbal language for the global Brand and Contract businesses to ensure the overall voice and messaging is industry-relevant and drives preference.
- Direct the creation of consistent narrative storytelling content in all customer-facing environments.
- Direct the work and manage the internal Editorial and Writing teams, driving a culture of collaboration.
- Partner with Global Brand and Contract Marketing to understand Herman Miller’s strategic goals around Communications, Product and Segments, and Emerging Markets.
- Partner with International Marketing and Design teams to understand the full set of customer messages and needs.
- Communicate regularly with global peers to understand and support current initiatives and standards, and to identify opportunities to leverage content to drive efficiencies.
- Represent key concepts and writing work internally to leadership and assume responsibility for the delivery of high performing, brand aligned communications and experiences.
- Research and maintain knowledge of emerging design and culture themes and industry trends.
- Serve as the expert on a consistent global brand voice.
- Train and develop direct reports, estimate personnel needs, assign work, meet completion dates, and interpret and ensure the consistent application of organizational policies and technologies.
- Understand the digital marketing landscape and design best practices for all manner of digital campaigns and communications.
- Perform additional responsibilities as requested to achieve business objectives.
Sound Like You?
You might be just who we’re looking for if you have...
- A Bachelor's degree in Communications, Marketing, Film, Journalism, or a related field.
- 10 years of experience in a creative role.
- Five years of management or project leadership experience.
- An intimate understanding of design, copy, and web best practices/guidelines.
- A strong understanding of brand development and multichannel marketing concepts.
- An understanding of editorial standards and practices that create the foundation of consistent voice.
- The ability to inspire, lead, and manage an extended team of editorial and writing talent.
- Outstanding written/verbal communication skills and the ability to present complex concepts in a concise and understandable way to a variety of audiences, including the highest level of the organization.
- An ability to "read the room;" manage up, down, and sideways; and communicate information, ideas, procedures, and process in a logical sequence and at a level appropriate to the audience.
- The ability to work collaboratively and to teach, coach, monitor, and influence key stakeholders at various levels of the organization (i.e., employees, visitors, vendors).
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to easily make connections among previously unrelated notions.
- The ability to investigate and analyze complex data and generate new ideas and solutions to resolve problems quickly and efficiently.
- An expert ability to think strategically and execute tactically.
- The ability to use a broad business acumen and holistic perspective to see the opportunities and risks of potential trade-offs.
- Demonstrated leadership competence as defined by Executive Competencies, including the proven ability to effectively focus resources to implement a business strategy, generate excitement and commitment around the vision and goals, and drive innovation and change.
- The ability to use the office automation, communication, software, and tools in the Herman Miller office environment.
- Experience with change management principles and the ability to drive and manage the change process from strategic planning through implementation and follow-through.
- Excellent coaching, mentoring, and people development skills.
- The ability to perform all essential job functions of the position with or without accommodations.
Who We Are
At Herman Miller, our unique culture represents the collective attitudes, ideas, and experiences of the people who work here. We focus on protecting the environment, impacting our communities, exceeding the expectations of our customers through high quality products, and championing diversity in all areas of the business, and together we are on a journey toward a better world. We support the well-being of our employees in and outside of work by providing a variety of opportunities including award-winning work-life integration resources, development programs, complex health and wellness offerings, and much more.
Herman Miller is a globally recognized provider of furnishings and related technologies and services. Headquartered in West Michigan, we have relied on innovative design for over 100 years to solve problems for people wherever they work, live, learn, and heal.
Herman Miller is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer including veterans and people with disabilities.