Who we are:
Steelcase was founded as an office furniture maker, and we've evolved into the global leader in workplace solutions. We apply our insights to the intersection of space, technology, and furniture, helping individuals and teams in leading companies around the world to have a better day at work.
We pursue innovation, strive for sustainability and develop insights in every part of our business.
Your Future Team:
We are a Studio of Engineers, Designers, and Project Managers who work closely with Steelcase Sales, Dealers, and Customers to develop products specifically for a Customer.
The full Studio team has two locations: Grand Rapids and San Francisco. Using various technologies, we meet/work often with team members from other locations
What you will be doing:
You will be working with customers, industrial design, engineers, mechanical designers, manufacturing, suppliers, and quality to perform large, complex engineering assignments related to the creation, development and/or improvement of product designs. You will also make independent studies, analysis, interpretations and conclusions. As a coach, you will mentor and lead other engineers and mechanical designers in the use of mechanical engineering/mechanical design principles, computer-aided design, and the completion of engineering/mechanical design activities. This position requires managing the budget for the engineering portion of a project.
Who you are:
- Creative – You have the ability to develop unique furniture solutions to meet the customer’s requirements
- A strong communicator - You listen well and can express your ideas in a clear and compelling manner
- Collaborative - You work well with Designers, Dealers, Sales and can synthesize multiple points of view into a singular vision
- Adaptive – You deal well with changing priorities and thrive in a fast-paced work environment
- Research, Innovation and Concept Analysis: Ability to research and gather information, generate creative engineering/design solutions, and evaluate the overall relative value of different concepts, ideas and designs in support of stated goals.
- Technology/Engineering Analysis & Methodology: Ability to apply mechanical engineering principles, mechanical properties, material science, manufacturing processes and procedures, and tooling as they relate to the engineering of the product. Must also have an understanding of handling, packaging, distribution and environmental strategies as they relate to product design/material usage decisions.
- Economic Analysis: Ability to understand/interpret product and tooling cost data, economic principles and profit/loss analysis as they relate to the engineering of the product.
- Systems, Procedures & Standards: Ability to apply appropriate standards and protocol that govern the Steelcase design/engineering process.
- Computer Skills: Ability to guide and/or create CAD models to document and analyze the engineering/mechanical aspects of the design and utilize other computer applications and software.
- Business Industry Knowledge: Ability to acquire knowledge of the office furniture industry, Steelcase organization, processes, products, standards and information systems.
- Problem Solving/Decision Making: Ability to use a variety of methods and techniques in solving technical issues.
- Interpersonal: Ability to work with peers and management in a multi-disciplined team environment.
- Administrative: Ability to work on multiple assignments and effectively manage time and priorities.
- Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent technical degree or certification.
- Minimum 5 years work experience within mechanical engineering discipline.
How to Apply:
We invite you to submit your resume/CV through our careers page – https://careers.steelcase.com/. If we can make the application process easier through accommodation, please email us at email@example.com.
We are proud to have a diverse and inclusive workforce, and we're always looking to get better. We value applicants who are comfortable interacting with people different than themselves. Women, people of any race or national origin, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people, veterans, working mothers and fathers, and everyone else are all invited to apply.
Steelcase provides employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, color, creed, genetic information, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or veteran status and bases all employment decisions only on valid job requirements.