Who is Mel Trotter Ministries?
We are innovative, empathetic and compassionate difference-makers. We walk alongside people as they transform their lives. We strive to impact our community, ending homelessness, one person at a time. Do you share our innovative and driven love of people, and do you want to make a difference? Join our team, see what we can do together, through the power and compassion of Jesus Christ.
You belong here if:
- You are called to make an impact in greater Grand Rapids.
- You are called to help men, women, and children overcome homelessness.
- You see value and potential in every human being no matter how broken they are.
- You rejoice in seeing lives transformed forever.
- You are called to demonstrate the compassion of Jesus to everyone.
We are pleased to offer:
Mel Trotter offers a competitive benefits package consisting of many unique benefits not found elsewhere, along with the traditional benefits for full time staff of insurance, time off, disability, and retirement. Some examples of our unique benefits available on-site to all staff are:
- Auto purchase program
- Free chiropractic services
- Free legal consultation
- Dental clinic serving those with and without insurance
- Certified counselor to assist with personal challenges
We will trust you with:
- Admission/discharge of guests in the Public Inebriate shelter, expert use of exclusion criteria, when appropriate
- Observe guests for medical emergencies, initiate CPR/AED as needed, take and monitor vital signs
- Encourage guests to remain until they are sober enough to be safe and fully responsible for themselves.
- Maintain order in the Public Inebriate Shelter; use verbally de-escalation techniques
- Assist in maintaining a clean, sanitary, and safe environment for our guests; for example, sweeping floors, removing garbage, making beds, doing the laundry, etc.
- Answer emergency calls throughout the shelter
- Assist in providing TB skin tests, drug screens
- Provide patient care using critical reasoning skills and ethical judgement that supports a safe standard of care, advocacy for patients in an alternative healthcare environment
- Maintain accurate guest records, using approved platforms and guidelines
- Participate in all mandatory meetings and in-service training sessions.
Bring your strengths:
- Current CPR Certification, Certification for administering lab tests (TB, Drug Screen)
- Able to perform two cycles to current AHA/ARC standard
- Ability to take vital signs which include blood pressure, pulse, respiration, and temperature (or capable of training)
- Prefer minimum 3 years of experience
- Effective team player, yet highly effective and production when working solo shifts.
- Desire and capability to relate effectively with chemically dependent persons
- Strong, effective communicator with guests, co-workers, medical personnel, law enforcement
- Knowledge of symptoms which indicate medical emergencies (or capable of training)
- Crisis intervention training and/or experience, including de-escalation training
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, and guest record-keeping software platforms
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, professional business writing
- Models professionalism