Job title: Quality Engineer
Department / Division: Quality Assurance
Salary Grade: EXB 16
Salary Range: $97,843.50- $126,621.00 per year, plus annual bonus
Location: Ada, MI
What do we need:
We are seeking a driven, ambitious engineer that has is interested in working across the life cycle of consumable products. We are seeking team members that understand a broad application of quality techniques across the design, supply, manufacture, and feedback phases of a consumable product. Our team is looking for someone who can collaborate across multiple functions, problem solve, and represent the Voice of the Customer through quality standards and systems. This position will have responsibility across a range of quality areas, but we are looking for someone with considerable validation and equipment qualification experience.
What’s special about this team:
The Quality Engineering group is a hardworking team of over 25 engineers across two Amway sites (Ada, Michigan and Buena Park, California). The team works in a fast-paced environment supporting internal and external manufacturing sites to ensure quality product is produced and supplied to our customers. Our team works heavily with cross functional partners such as engineering, product development, planning, suppliers, and manufacturing to prevent and address product quality issues. Our team also works with our global QA counterparts in over 10 markets across many countries. There is an ongoing shift from back end to front end design for quality work to get ahead of issues and minimize reactive quality work. We are looking for passionate, vocal team members who can help us in this shift.
What’s special about this role:
Your ability to work collaboratively and problem solve will be valued in this role as you work broadly with many internal and external partners. You will use a broad application of quality practices and principles to ensure products are designed with quality in mind. You will have the opportunity to manage, lead, and/or participate in complex cross-functional efforts to improve product quality or processes.
Your initial focus will be supporting the influx of new equipment and new products. This will entail authoring and overseeing equipment qualification and process validation studies. Your expertise in these areas will drive best practices and appropriate risk taking to ensure studies are efficient and effective.
In this role you will collaboratively or independently provide solutions to a wide range of difficult technical issues. You will also have the opportunity to learn or use your past experience to execute a broad range of quality functions, including:
- Develop and review validation program to ensure sophisticated processes and equipment operate to consistently produce quality products
- Analyze supplier, operation, and customer data, complaints and defective products to determine trends and recommends corrective / preventative actions
- Interface with suppliers, manufacturing, affiliate QA, product development, and regulatory representatives concerning quality problems; ensure effective corrective action is implemented and develops prevention based quality improvement programs
- Lead strategic quality improvement initiatives and teams or participates as QA lead for cross-functional initiatives including but not limited to equipment qualification, validation, value chain projects and new product launches
- Represent customer to resolve product design and quality issues
- Ensure that products, materials and services comply with established specifications and technical requirements through application of quality tools and principles
- Lead and facilitate uniform standards globally – for both product standards and quality systems best practices
- Provide mentoring, coaching and support on technical programs and projects which may include directing the day-to-day work of technicians, lower level scientists/engineers, interns and/or contractors
- Minimum of 6 years of experience in process engineering, plant engineering, manufacturing, or Quality Assurance in the CPG, food, or pharmaceutical industry
- Minimum of 3 years of experience specifically focused in one or more of the following areas:
- Process/packaging validation
- Cleaning and sanitizing validation
- Equipment qualification (IQ/OQ/PQ)
- Experience in root cause investigations, product development, and/or supplier quality, is desirable
- Demonstrated experience in Design for Quality or experience in product or process development is preferred
- BS degree in Chemical Engineering, Packaging Engineering, or a related field or comparable experience
Skills to be successful in the role:
- Experience in or supporting a GMP manufacturing environment
- Experience with quality standards and Design for Quality practices
- Experience with data analysis, statistical techniques, and problem solving
- Talent to collaborate with internal partners and external vendors to effectively and efficiently resolve issues
This role is “Not” eligible for sponsorship.