Senior Infection Preventionist - Infection Control * Days - 40hrs/wk
Requisition #: req1446
FTE status: 1
In conjunction with the Infection Prevention Physician Lead and the Patient Safety Officer, the Senior Infection Preventionist shares accountability for the administration and coordination of the Infection Prevention Program and ensures the assessment of the educational needs of the organization and patients in order to maintain a safe environment Additionally, they oversee the identification of infection prevention concerns, learning from defects analyses, and the development and implementation of infection prevention action plans.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Master’s Degree in health care related field.
- Five + years of infection prevention, quality, and project management experience.
- Certification in Infection Control preferred or willing/able to obtain certification within 2 years of hire into this role.
- Competence in statistical and systems analysis.
- Demonstrated experience with multiple computer software programs for data and project management. Must exhibit advanced interpersonal skills and ability to engage and educate physicians and other health care workers.
- Knowledge of current trends and practices relating to infection prevention.
- Active member of Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology (APIC).
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Evaluate the occurrence of health care associated infections and potential risks in order to make recommendations for their reduction that are statistically sound and that recognize resource limitations. These activities address the integrated functions of surveillance (observation, monitoring, and evaluation); epidemiological investigation and evaluation; consultation; and education.
- Develops, implements and evaluates plans of action in response to potential and actual infection prevention issues affecting patients and/or staff.
- Participates in the development and implementation of policy, procedure, protocols or nursing standards as they relate to infection prevention. Evaluate compliance with established policies and procedures to determine actual practice.
- Participates in process improvement opportunities and utilizes research finding to advance the level of practice.
- Assists in assessment of educational needs of health care personnel, patients/significant others, and assists in development and presentation of educational programs related to infection prevention issues. Provide education and other services, based on information obtained from compliance observations that are designed to change attitudes and behaviors of health care workers when indicated, in order to facilitate a safe environment in which consistent optimal standards of care can be achieved.
- Communicates, collaborates and acts as a consultant on infection prevention issues, working with the Infection Prevention Committee, other health care team members and the community to develop plans of care with goals consistent with sound infection prevention principles. Interact with community resources to enhance our ability to prevent and control infectious diseases.
- Participates on committees as a member and consultant on infection prevention issues.
- Communicates, collaborates, and acts as a consultant on infection prevention-related issues; interacts with the Infection Prevention Committee and other team members to develop plans of care and goals consistent with infection prevention and control principles.
- Participates in the development and implementation of department-specific and organization-wide infection prevention-related policies and procedures.
- Serves as a resource person to hospital and ambulatory departments on matters relating to infection prevention and control.
- Ensures the documentation and communication of communicable disease information to appropriate department managers, physicians, agencies, etc., and maintains records of same. Ensures documentation of compliance with appropriate regulatory and accrediting agencies.
- Maintains records of hospital acquired infections and reports any cluster or trend to the involved department designee/chairperson, Infection Prevention Committee and/or Quality Management Coordinator. Provide documentation of compliance with appropriate regulatory and accrediting agencies.
- Prepares and presents quarterly and annual reports, Quality Plan, and year end summaries to the governing body and the Infection Prevention Committee as assigned.
- Collaborates with Environmental Services Liaison and Employee Health Services to help formulate programs/policies that assures a healthy workforce and prevents transmission of disease.
- Maintains a current knowledge base of use standards of care in professional practice, pursues self-directed learning and continuing education opportunities, participates on committees, task forces, and work groups as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.