Today, with our current team members, we have the strength to help you grow in any career direction you want, whether in our stores, distribution centers, manufacturing facilities or our Midwest corporate offices. It's your future, maybe it starts with Meijer.This position is responsible for working with the Buyer in setting the strategy for the assortment, pricing, promotion, planogram and marketing of categories to deliver to customer expectations and the financial plan. This position is also accountable for managing vendor relationships.
What You'll be Doing:
- Drive the strategic direction of their categories to align with the goals of the division to make Meijer the most compelling place for customers to shop by focusing on Assortment, Pricing, Brands, Marketing, and Store Presentation.
- Visit stores (both Meijer and competition) regularly to proactively understand assortments, pricing and store presentation.
- Utilize internal and external market information to anticipate trends and future customer needs to drive brand and item selection.
- Collaborate with Buyer and Merchandise Planning to develop the financial plan.
- Partner with Buyer to develop the overall direction and performance of merchandising categories.
- Drive the category review process and timeline and make recommendations based on analysis.
- Collaborate with Merchandise Planning to complete open-to-buy forecasts.
- Work with team to develop and approve master and version planograms.
- Approve Merchandise Planning recommendations on markdown strategy.
- Negotiate with vendors for markdown support or returns.
- Collaborate with Buyer to determine pricing strategy for category / product that maintains Meijer’s pricing integrity, sales, and direct margin dollars.
- Review pricing analytics with Pricing Coordinator to determine optimal pricing.
- Determine promotional (advertising or price) based on competition and seasonality.
- Collaborate with Buyer and Merchandise Planning on inventory demand to support promotional strategy.
- Evaluate marketing effectiveness for categories.
- This job profile is not meant to be all inclusive of the responsibilities of this position; may perform other duties as assigned or required.
What You Bring with You (Qualifications):
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2+ years of experience in retail industry preferred.
- Buying, inventory or analysis experience preferred.
- Knowledge of the market, retail business and customers.
- Knowledge of business drivers (e.g. pricing, promotion, assortment).
- Planning skills.
- Negotiations skills.
- Sense of product trends.
- Enthusiasm, Initiative and passion for retail.
- Office computer skills; able to learn company systems and tools, preference for Microsoft application experience.