Summary of the Role
The Accounting Assistant works under the guidance of the Controller and provides support to the CFO. This position has primary responsibility for accounts payable processing. The Accounting Assistant is the MTM point person for working with vendors regarding payments and managing various agreements and tax-related documents. This position has responsibility for processing non-donation receipts and monthly general ledger reconciliations. The Accounting Assistant manages all expense reimbursement activities and record keeping, and is responsible for preparing for our annual audit. This role provides data to our grants team in support of current or future grants.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
· Entire process of accounts payables including:
o Coding and entering invoices into accounting system
o Primary contact with vendors regarding invoices and payments
o Coding and entering employee expense reimbursements
o Printing weekly accounts payable and processing employee expense reimbursements
· Entering and tracking of non-donation receipts, such as revenue from housing, etc.
· Providing ongoing support to outside accounting firm and internal customers
· Assist with counting donations
· Provide manual invoices for receiving
· Provide support for guest savings account program, as a signor
· Provide petty cash reconcilitation
· Review and reconciliation of monthly general ledger accounts
· Creates various journal entries
· Complete vendor credit applications and sales tax exemption forms
· Manages vendor accounts for MTM properties, such as utilities, trash collection
· Provide Nexonia platform training and communication regarding expense reporting
· Handle communications with clients and vendors via phone, email, and in-person
· Annual preparation and filing of 1099s
· Assist with preparation for annual audit
· Provide requested data to our grants team
· Assisting Chief Financial Officer and other internal customers with various requests
· Associates degree in accounting or minimum two (2) years’ experience financial accounting background
· Excellent understanding of financial processes and accounting procedures
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and accounting software platforms
· Highly organized and detailed-oriented
· Clear and professional communication skills, both verbal and written
· Regular standing, walking, climbing, crouching, bending, pushing, or pulling
· Understand, speak, read, and write fluent English
· Ability to communicate verbally and to accurately hear, with hearing correction
· Ability to see 20/20, with vision correction
· Able to lift up to 35 pounds occasionally, and up to 20 pounds regularly
· Able to use fine motor hand functions
Mel Trotter Ministries Staff Attributes
We expect all staff to project and exemplify passion to a faith-based approach to advocacy for the guests, to be humble, supportive team players, who acknowledge their own gifts and those of others, are truthfully transparent, seek input from others, admit and learn from mistakes, are highly coachable and approachable. We expect a hungry, innovative, goal-oriented, eager contributor, who shows a dedicated work ethic. We expect our staff to exhibit empathy, compassion, active listening, to be self- aware, sensitive across racial, class and cultural lines, ethical, and approachable. We look for work habits of punctuality, dependability, accountability, responsibility, cooperation, team participation, integrity, problem solving, and overall positivity.
These attributes, combined with the performance of one’s duties and achievement of goals will be equated with the quality of one’s overall job performance. Please refer to them often and feel free to ask for feedback on these areas regularly.