Reports to Chief Engagement and Advocacy Officer
Summary of the Role
The Resource Navigator will work directly with Meijer staff members within various Kent County Meijer locations, reporting directly to Mel Trotter’s Chief Engagement and Advocacy Officer. This individual will help clients navigate the wide variety of resources and assistance tools offered to them through their employer, as well as through main stream community resources, as deemed appropriate. They will make sure clients feel their needs are being met and they understand how to utilize these resources.
The ideal Resource Navigator is empathetic, skilled in customer service, enjoys helping others, and is well connected with community organizations and economic assistance tools.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Mel Trotter Ministries Staff Attributes
We expect all staff to project and exemplify passion to a faith-based approach to advocacy for the guests, to be humble, supportive team players, who acknowledge their own gifts and those of others, are truthfully transparent, seek input from others, admit and learn from mistakes, are highly coachable and approachable. We expect a hungry, innovative, goal-oriented, eager contributor, who shows a dedicated work ethic. We expect our staff to exhibit empathy, compassion, active listening, to be self- aware, sensitive across racial, class and cultural lines, ethical, and approachable. We look for work habits of punctuality, dependability, accountability, responsibility, cooperation, team participation, integrity, problem solving, and overall positivity.
These attributes, combined with the performance of one’s duties and achievement of goals will be equated with the quality of one’s overall job performance. Please refer to them often and feel free to ask for feedback on these areas regularly.
· Identify and communicate opportunities to improve the navigation process to ensure efficiency and continuous improvement
· Meet with individual Meijer staff members within various Meijer locations and occasionally in off-site locations
· Exercise empathy, active listening skills, and respect while problem-solving to identify available benefits and resources to ensure economic security and stability
· Exhibit excellent understanding and supportive promotion of Meijer Corporation staff supports
· Maintain and exhibit updated knowledge of available state, county, and community supports to meet client needs
· Skillfully connect Meijer staff members with appropriate supports, and provide follow-up to ensure fruitful connections have been made
· Present program in professional settings, build relationships with partners who provide various resources through Meijer and within the community
· Present program metrics at board meetings
· Work with other resource navigators to identify customized solutions for clients
· Attend and participate in MTM team meetings as required for engagement and for furthering the effectiveness of the role.
· Bachelor’s degree in Human Services, Psychology, or Counseling, preferred but not required
· Human Resources background preferred, but not required
· Must be knowledgeable of state, local, and community supports for marginalized populations
· Experience working with those facing economic insecurity, preferably in Human Services role
· Excellent networking and relationship building skills
· Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, including business writing
· Highly professional demeanor, including presence at business meetings
· Fluent in Microsoft Office Suite, and willing and able to learn additional software platforms
· Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
· Regular standing, walking, climbing, crouching, bending, pushing, or pulling
· Understand, speak, read, and write fluent English
· Able to lift up to 35 pounds occasionally, 20 pounds regularly
· Able to use fine motor hand functions