About this Opportunity
Our Operations Teams are responsible for all aspects of manufacturing high quality products in a timely manner to delight our customers. Operations team members play an important role in Herman Miller's success and prepare us to help people do great things. All of our team members work in clean, bright environments that make use of Lean manufacturing principles. These teams share a passion for quality and hold safety as a number one priority.
As an Industrial Sewer, you'll operate machinery to perform single and double needle sewing operations. You will exhibit initiative in your daily performance to provide quality products and services that meet and exceed customer demands, as well as maintain a quality working relationship with other team members.
What You'll Do
You'll have opportunities to speak up, solve problems, lead others, and be an owner every day as you...
Sound Like You?
- Adjust machines to stitch various types of fabrics.
- Complete daily paperwork to track rejects, units completed, or other documentation as required.
- Inspect parts during assembly and upon completion to ensure compliance with established product quality criteria.
- Maintain expected levels of order and cleanliness using 5S principles.
- Make minor repairs to assigned machines.
- Operate an industrial sewing machine to join pre-cut and upholstery pieces and align pieces to preserve grain and/or pattern.
- Perform additional responsibilities as requested to achieve business objectives.
- Report any equipment or safety concerns immediately to ensure a safe work environment.
You might be just who we’re looking for if you have...
Who We Are
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- A demonstrated ability to operate and program sewing machines for detailed assembly work.
- The ability to lift 55 pounds and perform repetitive motions of bending, pushing, grasping, and pulling.
- A demonstrated ability to distinguish between colors of thread or fabric, fabric grains, and patterns.
- Good hand-eye coordination, concentration skills, and a demonstrated attention to detail.
- Basic math, reading, and communication skills.
- The ability to rapidly manipulate small parts and use power hand tools.
- A proven ability to work in a flexible work environment and adapt to overtime requirements as needed.
- The ability to perform all essential job functions with or without accommodations.
At Herman Miller, our unique culture represents the collective attitudes, ideas, and experiences of the people who work here. We focus on protecting the environment, impacting our communities, exceeding the expectations of our customers through high quality products, and championing diversity in all areas of the business, and together we are on a journey toward a better world. We support the well-being of our employees in and outside of work by providing a variety of opportunities including award-winning work-life integration resources, development programs, complex health and wellness offerings, and much more.
Herman Miller is a globally recognized provider of furnishings and related technologies and services. Headquartered in West Michigan, we have relied on innovative design for over 100 years to solve problems for people wherever they work, live, learn, and heal.
Herman Miller is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer including veterans and people with disabilities.