Director Lab Services - Laboratory * Days
Requisition #: req239
FTE status: 1
The Laboratory Administrative Director is responsible for operational activities and processes, strategic planning, development and maintenance of customer focused services, quality assurance, fiscal and personnel management and collaboration in system wide initiatives. The Laboratory Administrative Director is also responsible for collaborating with the Laboratory Medical Director on all aspects of quality assurance, policies and procedures, and department planning according to the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act of 1988 (CLIA 88) and the College of American Pathologists (CAP) accreditation program.
- Masters Degree, MT(ASCP) or equivalent in work experience
- At least 5 years previous laboratory management experience
- Knowledge of laboratory management principles, practices, and methods
- Knowledge of laboratory accreditation standards and requirements, CPT coding, ICD9 coding, and billing systems.
- Knowledge of Medicare compliance and medical necessity regulations, QA and CI processes, and outreach programs.
- Experience with laboratory performance tracking systems, benchmarking, and laboratory information systems
- Experience with laboratory budget preparation, cost analysis, and financial management, supply purchasing and inventory control systems.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Leadership / Culture Development
- Demonstrate leadership and management practices that are fair, consistent, and conducive to a positive work environment
- Create a sense of departmental pride among lab employees
- Communicate with honesty and candor
- Demonstrate personal integrity
- Prepares Annual Business Plan and Department Budget
- Department mission statement
- Specific market opportunities/threats
- Staffing levels projected and budgeted
- Productivity units and standards(benchmarks)
- Staffing, supply, hospital and other miscellaneous expense projected and budgeted
- Capital expense(3 year projected)
- Operational strategies including reengineering opportunities, cost reduction, and service improvements.
- Performance Tracking Systems
- Generates and reviews monthly and annual statistical reports.
- Prepares and reviews internal graphic trend reports
- Prepares external LMIP report quarterly and reviews results for improvement
- Reviews and analyzes budget report monthly and reports on major variances
- Quality Assurance Activities
- Develops and implements annual department QA plan and strategies
- Initiates CAP self inspection annually and takes corrective action to resolve deficiencies
- Reviews and updates all department policies at least once every two years
- Updates and prints specimen requirement database and list at least every 6 months
- Meets at least monthly with OP/QA Coordinator to review Outreach and QA activities
- Reviews all laboratory incident reports and takes appropriate corrective action.
- Approves all QA reports prepared internally and for Outcomes Management Department
- Human Resources
- Keeps department organizational chart current
- Updates job descriptions and standards at least once every two years
- Hires all new employees and sets starting hourly rate
- Reviews and approves orientation and competency verification checklists at least annually
- Prepares employee performance review documents using hospital system
- Approves employee work schedules, overtime, holiday schedules, and requested days off
- Approves and coordinates educational programs for laboratory supervisors and staff
- Requests and recruits staffing replacements and additional staffing when indicated
- Counsels and disciplines laboratory personnel when appropriate following hospital policies
- Reviews monthly attendance reports
- Handles all employee grievances
- Maintains all laboratory employee files
- Investigates all employee accidents
- Cost Containment
- Updates Test Cost Analysis program annually
- Reviews and updates test fees annually
- Updates CPT codes annually and as needed
- Approves all file changes in Laboratory Supply Purchasing and Inventory Control system
- Utilizes Premier contract vendors to minimize supply and equipment costs
- Utilizes MD Byline cost analysis programs when selecting capital equipment
- Team Activities
- Maintains Press-Ganey at an acceptable level through interdepartmental team approach.
- Initiates regular department meetings for supervisors, sections and general lab.
- Attends all appropriate meetings and training programs for management group
- Participates in the development of departmental strategies with pathologists and supervisors.
- Coordinates laboratory marketing plans with other department programs
- Participates in interdepartmental CI team processes.
- Initiates CI training for all laboratory staff and maintains on-going permanent CI teams.
- Initiates Lab-Nursing Team meetings chaired by Laboratory Supervisor.
- Initiates regular Laboratory Safety Team meetings
- Participates in the team development of laboratory services for plaza sites.
- Participates in the team development of laboratory information systems
- Participates in the team development of Medicare Compliance programs.
- Assists with the development of point of care and physician provided laboratory services.
- Participate in the development of shared and regional laboratory service programs, maintenance of laboratory networks, and wellness and community screening programs.
- Participates in the development of laboratory outpatient service contracts and managed care contracts involving laboratory services.
- Participates in the team development of laboratory renovation or construction projects.