Job title: Principal Engineer – Operations Engineering
Department / Company: Engineering – Analytical & Distribution / Amway
Location: Ada, MI
What’s special about this job:
The Operations Engineering role is an important resource for the organization, providing support to the Manufacturing operations in Ada and on the West Coast. Our most important role is to partner with Manufacturing, Finance, Process Engineering, and Planning to create, maintain, and improve production standards.
We achieve this by analyzing processes and the data from processes to generate throughputs, changeover times, and crewing values that result in more accurate standards that provide for lower costs and variance as well as for better planning. The team is guided by the 5 principles of: Integrity, Due Diligence, Objectivity, Knowledge, and Timeliness. In this role, you will report to the Manager of Plant Engineering.
How you will contribute to the role:
In this role, you will specifically support the non-Nutrition operations on the Ada campus. There is also the potential to assist with the Buena Park, CA operation so there may be occasional travel. Your role will be a combination of developing strategy and project portfolios for process improvement, as well as traditional Industrial Engineering work.
You will need to manage multiple projects and priorities, work cross-functionally with Manufacturing, Process Engineering, and Finance. Your project work will include capacity analysis, material flow studies, downtime studies, determining staffing requirements, among other projects. This role will allow you to use your analytical skills, learn new processes and tools, and grow your understanding of manufacturing and industrial engineering.
What skills and background will be important to be successful:
- BS in Industrial Engineering or similar engineering discipline from an ABET accredited university with eight years of Industrial Engineering experience in a manufacturing environment (preferably consumer goods).
- Be a self-starter with project management experience who possesses the ability to manage multiple projects and stakeholders simultaneously across diverse manufacturing environments.
- Exposure to Lean Six Sigma and Process Improvement techniques (systematic problem-solving capability)
- An understanding of costing systems and the impact that changing cost components will have on the business and on manufacturing operations.
- Experience with ERP systems including data collection, routings maintenance, and cost estimating.
- Experience performing systems analysis using Excel-based modeling and discrete event simulation modeling, Monte Carlo simulation, and optimization modeling of production, capacity, labor, inventory.
- Experience with statistical analysis including statistical process control concepts related to quality assurance (preferably with Minitab).
- Experience with MS Office suite of applications. Knowledge of JDE, OBIEE, Alteryx, Tableau, @Risk, relational databases is a plus.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to get the details right
- An understanding of the right amount of due diligence as well as a desire to learn are critical to this position
This role is “Not” eligible for sponsorship.
If you can see yourself as part of this collaborative environment, visit our web site to apply: www.amway.jobs