To be considered for this position, please link or provide your portfolio.
Who we are:
Steelcase was founded as an office furniture maker, and we've evolved into the global leader in workplace solutions. We apply our insights to the intersection of space, technology, and furniture, helping individuals and teams in leading companies around the world to have a better day at work.
We pursue innovation, strive for sustainability, and develop insights in every part of our business.
Why people choose to work with us:
Our studio is responsible for all Steelcase branded product categories as well as our healthcare and educational product groups. Design Interns have the opportunity to work on a diverse range of projects while supporting studio activities. This will range from information research and logistics support to developing concepts for production. The intern will participate as a contributing studio member (Industrial Designer) while receiving directional guidance and mentorship from staff. Design at Steelcase uses user research and unique insights to develop compelling solutions, unlocking human promise wherever work happens.
We know you’ll love our state of the art environment and engaging work spaces!
What you will be doing:
Under close supervision and direction of a design mentor, understands and applies research insights, possesses design and technology skills to creatively conceptualize and develop unique and innovative product and component recommendations. The designer will also work with peers in other fields (engineering, marketing, supply chain, project management) to conceptualize, problem solve and develop components and products which are destined for production. We do not create synthetic projects just for interns to work on, our intent is for interns to work as entry level designers in our studio working on explorations and production bound projects.
Then you’ll work on:
- Navigate your way through a design question by conducting research, asking questions, and exploring solutions
- Develop your own opinions and thoughtfully share them with the team
- Explore new concepts through sketching and building quick prototypes
- Assist designers in project tasks, such as documenting projects, building physical and digital models, and preparing for presentations
- Build relationships with engineers, project managers, and marketers to learn how to implement ideas into real products
Additionally, you’ll enjoy the chance to regularly work and network with a wide variety of global teams to learn about other areas of design that may interest you, like materiality, product design, etc.
Who you are:
- You have ideas and like to build them – you enjoy making things with your hands
- Do you always desire to learn new things?
- Are you both creative and analytical?
- Do you enjoy using your strong communication skills to express yourself through words and/or drawings?
- Are you comfortable with using or learning new software?
- Are you able to juggle several conflicting tasks at once, prioritize them then execute?
- Do you have a well-rounded background of experiences?
- Are you empathetic and understanding?
- Do you enjoy working in teams to achieve individual tasks with little to no supervision?
- Junior, Senior, or Graduate design student status
- Preferred majors: Interiors, Architecture, Product or Industrial Design
- Proficiency in: SketchUp, Adobe Creative Suite and AutoCAD
- Experience with Revit, CET Designer, and Fusion are a bonus!
Your Future Team:
This small and mighty team of 15 is comprised of Industrial Designers, UX Designer, Interior Designers, Project Managers, Engineers, and a Model Maker.
- We are in constant collaboration as a team and cross functionally.
- Our design group is aesthetically and culturally diverse.
- We are a flexible and open group of people.
- We believe you'll learn we are approachable, open to questions, new ideas and care about your growth and success. Our award-wining team is eager to mentor you.
- We truly believe in autonomy and trust you to accomplish your goals.
- Lastly, you’ll sit alongside of fellow innovators including: product engineers, model makers and industrial designers.
Please include a link to your portfolio on your resume, or upload your portfolio when you apply.
We are proud of our diverse and inclusive workforce, and we're always looking to get better. We value applicants who enjoy interacting with people different than themselves. Women, people of any race or national origin, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people, veterans, working mothers and fathers, and everyone else are all invited to apply.
We seek to find the best person to fill this role and will not discriminate based on race, color, creed, genetic information, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by law.
How to Apply: We invite you to submit your resume/CV/portfolio through our careers page. If we can make the application process easier through accommodation, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.