Sets up and operates brake press to bend or form sheet metal to blueprint or engineering specifications by performing the following duties.
Duties and responsibilities
- Reads and interprets blueprints, engineering specifications and travelers to determine die requirements, setup procedures, control settings and sequences. Calculates and sets machine controls to position machine in relationship to work piece.
- Loads control media in machine controller or enters commands to retrieve preprogrammed instructions from data base.
- Selects and positions dies in machine ram and bed. Tightens tooling to secure proper placement and operation of punches/dies.
- Requests or retrieves material/parts be brought to operator location by general machines material handler.
- Positions work piece manually or with the help of fellow team member to align to dies placement. Starts machine to lower ram or depresses pedal to activate ram that bends metal.
- Verifies dimensions of work piece and requests 1st piece inspection approval. Enters commands or manually adjusts machine controls to correct malfunctions or out-of-tolerance machining. Performs periodic quality inspections throughout production run.
- Meet or exceed the production rates while maintaining the required quality. Minimize set-up times while ensuring machines and tools are used to maximize output safely with minimum wear on the machines and tools.
- Identify, analyze and eliminate specific causes for rejected parts. Troubleshoot problems as they occur. Seek assistance from other team members or Trainer when needed.
- Completes all necessary information on traveler as required. Contacts general machine material handler to have material moved to next location.
- Participates in team and self-improvement training.
- Follows all safety rules as outlined in team member handbook.
- Assists in other work centers as required.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or 3 or more years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Previous experience in metal fabrication or working knowledge of metals and equipment a plus. Must be capable of working with resource planning systems (bar coding) for proper recording of operations, time and labor. Must be a team player continually demonstrating desired standardization, synchronization and disciplines required in press brake/general machine team.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as blueprints, travelers, safety rules, set-up notes, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to communicate effectively with fellow team members. Ability to properly complete travelers for all jobs performed.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Must be capable of calculating bend allowances and performing other mathematical calculations required when performing machining operations in press brakes and general machines. Must be capable for reading micrometers, calipers and tape measure.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Must possess a valid Michigan driver's license to be licensed as a qualified lift truck driver at DeWys Manufacturing, Inc.
While performing the duties of this job, the team member is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts while operating brake presses. The noise level in the work environment varies from moderate to loud, depending on volume of machines in operation in the work center. Hearing protection is available for team member use but is not required as personal protective equipment. Safety glasses must be worn at all times by team members.
While performing the duties of this job, the team member is regularly required to stand. Team member is also required to use hands to hold and grasp metal work pieces. Must regularly lift and or move up to 25 pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. When work pieces exceed 50 pounds, team member obtains assistance from fellow team members or uses a power lift truck to move materials. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
This job has no direct reports.