MA or LPN - Medical Assistant - Gastroenterology * Days - 40hrs/wk (SIGN-ON BONUS ELIGIBLE)
Under the direction of the Office Manager, the Medical Assistant performs administrative and clinical duties to care for patients in an ambulatory setting. Administrative duties include maintaining medical records, handling patient calls and completing forms. Clinical duties include measuring and recording vital signs and medical histories, preparing patients for examination and administering medications as directed by physician or advance practice providers. The Medical Assistant plays an integral role in the care team model.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to effectively work with the medical team
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients and staff while demonstrating a high degree of diplomacy and tact
- Ability to operate medical equipment safely and correctly
- Knowledge of infection prevention & control standards and practices
- Flexible, organized and able to function under stressful situations
- Ability to understand, interpret and apply instructions, guidelines and procedures
- Culturally sensitive and able to work with ethnically diverse patient populations
- Ability to prioritize and work on multiple tasks
- Intermediate experience with computers and information systems
- High school degree (or GED) required.
- Current Certification as Medical Assistant required.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) required for Urgent Care and preferred for all other departments.
- Previous experience as Medical Assistant preferred.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Ensures all relevant reports, tests results, labs and correspondence are available prior to the patient’s appointment.
- Escorts patients to exam room, interviews patients, measures vital signs and document all information in patient’s medical record.
- Reviews patient’s medical record to determine needed services and whether referrals are in process or have been completed since last visit.
- Assists physician or advance practice providers during examination or procedure.
- Provides patient with information and instructions as authorized by physician or advanced practice provider.
- Keeps exam room stocked with adequate medical supplies, maintains instruments and prepares them for sterilization and storage.
- Provides clerical support which may include completing forms/requisitions, answering phones, sending/receiving medical records, obtaining lab/x-ray reports, hospital notes, and referral information.
- Cleans rooms between patient visits in accordance with infection prevention and control standards.
- Administers medications and immunizations under authorization and supervision of physicians and/or advance practice providers.
- Processes messages from patients and front office staff to physicians and advance practice providers.
- Processes messages and call backs to patients, medical offices and pharmacies.
- Processes medication refills according to protocols.
- Maintains all logs and required checks (i.e. refrigerator temperature, emergency medications, expired medications, oxygen, sterilization fluid charge etc.)
- Performs EKG’s and simple (CLIA waived testing) medical office laboratory and screening tests.
- Collects and processes blood samples and other non-blood specimens for the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease.
- Participates in process improvement activities to enhance patient care and service.
- Performs other duties as assigned. These may include but are not limited to: Maintaining a current knowledge base of department processes, protocols and procedures, pursuing self-directed learning and continuing education opportunities, and participating on committees, task forces, and work groups as determined by management.
Requisition #: req4777FTE status: 1