Operating Room Assistant - Operating Room * Days - 40 hrs/wk
Requisition #: req2391
FTE status: 1
Provides support as member of surgical team through transportation of patients, room turnover, inventory/restocking, assistance with equipment, cleaning and sterilizing equipment and smooth flow of patient care in the OR.
- High school graduate or GED.
- Knowledge of sterile technique.
- Functional knowledge of surgery case set-ups.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Motivated, self directed and assumes responsibility for actions. Ablity
to multi-task and plan for needs of all rooms.
- Physical and emotional attributes to meet requirements of position.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Works cooperatively with other team members to facilitate room cleaning and turnover time; moves into room just prior to patient's exit and performs cleaning, as needed.
- Performs other cleaning responsibilities as assigned by department. Cleans surgical equipment that is not performed by environmental services (i.e., anesthesia machines, monitors).
- Performs stocking responsibilities as assigned by department that are not performed by materials management.
- Performs department transportation needs as assigned. Picks up and returns equipment and instruments as needed, performs inter/intra-departmental transportation of equipment, instruments and patients.
- Performs basic patient care needs such as holding extremities for preps and assists with patient positioning.
- Maintains equipment and environment standards by checking and logging humidity levels and logs temperatures, solution warmers. Able to run biological testing on autoclaves per policy, steris testing and refridgerator temperature testing.
- Demonstrated aseptic technique. Open sterile supplies for procedures.
- Participates in the operation of autoclaves and cold sterilization unit.
- Transports specimens to pathology as requested using universal precautions.
- Greets and communicates with patient, significant others, members of the health care team and/or ancillary departments in a manner consistent with hospital values, standards and policies dealing with confidentiality.
- Demonstrates flexibility while responding to department and hospital needs; shows initiative in utilizing time effectively.
- Supports the principles of C.I. including: functions as an effective team member; focus on meeting and exceeding the expectations of internal and external customers; strives for continual improvement in the systems and personal competency; supports other members of the health care team to achieve principles of C.I. through modeling them in own role.
- Assumes responsibility for continually improving own expertise. Participates in continuing education and inservice programs related to achieving and/or maintaining competency in assigned skills and enhancing team functioning and effectiveness.
- Assumes responsibility for maintaining personal knowledge and demonstrate skills of required safety policies and procedures, as well a general safety rules and regulations appropriate for a hospital environment.
- Maintains documentation for participation in all required safety education on an annual basis as specified by Clinical Coordinator and Department Manager.
- Performs other related job duties as assigned contributing to the values and mission of the hospital.
- Work "On Call" satus for weekends on a rotating basis.
Category: Health Care