Medical Laboratory Scientist - Laboratory * Days - 20hrs/wk
Precisely and accurately performs/evaluates a variety of technical procedures by utilizing the accepted quality control techniques with the aid of automated, semi-automated, and/or manual methodologies. Also, performs diagnostic procedures in other laboratory sections and venipunctures as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Technology or related science field required (chemical, physical, or biological science).
- Registered Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) required.
- One to Three years of clinical laboratory experience preferred.
- Organizational skills needed to prioritize daily workload
- Written, verbal, and interpersonal skills needed to communicate successfully with individuals and groups and interact with employees at all levels within the Medical Center to communicate ideas and concepts in a clear and concise manner
- Demonstrates knowledge, ability and competence in providing clinical data needed for the treatment
- Mandatory Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) training
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Performs technical procedures within the department accurately and precisely by following the established department policies and procedures.
- Enters test results accurately in the laboratory information system.
- Calls “critical value” or patient waiting” results within 10 minutes of test completion and documents the “critical value” was called, to whom it was called, read back and follow-up action if applicable.
- Demonstrates an ability to evaluate results of various tests and to determine the technical accuracy of test results.
- Oversees the work of a medical laboratory technician while Establishing quality assurance programs to monitor and ensure the accuracy of test results
- Performs other duties as assigned. These may include but are not limited to: Maintaining a current knowledge base of department processes, protocols and procedures, pursuing self-directed learning and continuing education opportunities, and participating on committees, task forces, and work groups as determined by management.
Requisition #: req7562FTE status: 0.5