Inpatient Charge Entry Specialist - Professional Billing * Days - 40hrs/wk.
Requisition #: req111
FTE status: 1
Under the direction of the Director of Physician Support Services, the Charge Entry Specialist is responsible for the timely charge entry of professional services provided in all locations. In addition the Charge Entry Specialist is responsible for monitoring the turnaround in accounts receivable for the areas assigned.
- High School Diploma required.
- Two years’ experience working in health care.
- CPC, CCA (or equivalent) required.
- Formal courses in Medical Terminology and Anatomy and Physiology preferred.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, organize work and establish priorities..
- Ability to communicate effectively with physicians, other office staff, supervisors and co-workers required. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent spelling and grammar skills with knowledge of standard medical abbreviations and terminology.
- Develops and maintains a body of skills and knowledge on hospital &/or medical office billing, collection and insurance functions.
- Professional, business-like appearance and demeanor.
- Ability to contribute to team efforts.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Reviews all charges dropped by charge capture, manually enter charges when appropriate, and verify charge integrity.
- Monitors patient census for providers and maintains a log to insure all charges are captured. Communicates with provider, and/or office manager if charges are not received in a timely matter.
- Enters and updates patient demographics including verifying insurance coverage via carrier websites.
- Reviews and takes action on claims returned by payers, whether denied or underpaid. Works aged accounts receivable as assigned.
- Responsible for maintaining certifications and up to date coding knowledge, by attending seminars, webinars, and reviewing resource material.
- Works with coordinator, providers and site staff to recognize and address coding compliance.
- Shares information with co-workers.
- Meets quality and productivity standards established by management.