Who is Mel Trotter Ministries?
We are innovative, empathetic and compassionate difference-makers. We walk alongside people as they transform their lives. We strive to impact our community, ending homelessness, one person at a time. Do you share our innovative and driven love of people, and do you want to make a difference? Join our team, see what we can do together, through the power and compassion of Jesus Christ.
You belong here if:
Ø You are called to make an impact in greater Grand Rapids.
Ø You are called to help men, women, and children overcome homelessness.
Ø You see value and potential in every human being no matter how broken they are.
Ø You rejoice in seeing lives transformed forever.
Ø You are called to demonstrate the compassion of Jesus to everyone.
We are pleased to offer:
Mel Trotter offers a competitive benefits package consisting of many unique benefits not found elsewhere, along with the traditional benefits for full time staff of insurance, time off, disability, and retirement. Some examples of our unique benefits available on-site to all staff are:
· Free chiropractic services
· Free legal consultation
· Dental clinic serving those with and without insurance
· Certified counselor to assist with personal challenges
We will trust you with:
- Responsible to provide Aftercare services to identified individuals who move out of MTM programming and into housing
- Responsible to set up one-on-one appointments to assist individuals in housing searches, completing the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) paperwork, and filling out applications
- Work together with Guest’s advocate to assess barriers of individuals experiencing homelessness to determine housing needs
- Serve as an ongoing liaison between MTM and housing agencies, private landlords, transitional housing and sober living housing opportunities, and permanent supportive housing agencies.
- Coordinates relationships with different community agencies, specifically within the areas in which individuals from our programs move to
- Advocate for individuals as they build their own support network in the community in which they live
- Identify community resources for individuals experiencing homelessness and distribute to guests and program team
- Make initial contact with individuals moving from shelter into housing and Aftercare, working with Guest’s advocate to identify strengths and barriers and assists guest in reducing barriers to housing resources while increasing their strengths
- Bridge the gap between shelter and housing for single individuals
- Record case notes in guest’s files, in Virtual Case Management (VCM) and Homeless Management Information System (HMIS)
- Provides mediation when needed between landlord and MTM guest to develop a plan to obtain and/or maintain housing
- Transport guests as deemed necessary
Bring your strengths:
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work or Human Services, or equivalent years’ experience in a related position
- Detail-oriented, highly organized
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, including business writing
- Valid driver’s license