General Definition and Scope of Job
Patient Registration Clerks register patients for multiple services in a timely and efficient manner, providing privacy and confidentiality at all times. Registration clerks must be knowledgeable in specific requirements pertaining to insurances, such as M.S.P. (Medicare Secondary Payer) to insure accuracy and compliance. Is knowledgeable of the roles of registration and is responsible for all hospital codes. Greets and assists patients, their families, and other visitors and assurance that they are triaged to the proper location, keeping in mind their dignity and identity. Performs a variety of clerical duties relating to record filing, answering telephones, directing inquiries and mail distribution.
JOB STATUS: Casual, As Needed
What are the Minimum Skills, Experience and Educational Requirements?
- High school graduate with courses in business and computers.
- Ability to read, write and speak the English language effectively.
- Must have excellent communication and customer service skills.
- One year of medical office experience preferred, with understanding of medical and insurance terms.
- Must be able to type 50 wpm, error-free.
- Experience with computer, copy machine, fax and other office equipment preferred.
What are the Critical Demands of the Job?
- Must be able to sit approximately 80% of the day as required.
- Must be able to type/keyboard at least 70% of the day as required.
- May be exposed to patients with contagious conditions.
- Work is subject to frequent interruptions and changing priorities.
- Must be able to relate to patients of all age groups.
- May be required to assist transporting patients in wheelchair.
- Must be able to remain calm when exposed to emergencies including illness (mental and physical), disease, trauma and death.
What are the Working Conditions?
- Works in well-lighted office environment with comfortable surroundings.
- Stressful at times due to emergency situations and interruptions.
- Prolonged sitting.
North Ottawa Community Hospital is an 81-bed, acute care hospital located in Grand Haven, Michigan on the shores of Lake Michigan. We are a community health care system with a variety of inpatient, outpatient and support service. Affiliate organizations strengthen our seamless delivery of care, by transforming us into a health care delivery system.