Respiratory Therapist - RRT - Respiratory Therapy * Nights - 36hrs/wk
Requisition #: req2299
FTE status: 0.9
Under the supervision of the Manager – Respiratory Therapy, the Respiratory Therapist – RRT performs all respiratory care services for patients who have deficiencies and abnormalities in respiratory function. The Respiratory Therapist performs diagnostic and therapeutic procedures. By virtue of educational background and clinical skills the Respiratory Therapist is utilized as an educator, mentor, Lead Therapist and consultant for clinical respiratory interventions.
- Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) credential from the National Board of Respiratory Care (NBRC)
- Licensed Respiratory Therapist in the State of Michigan
- BLS certified
- ACLS certification within 6 months of hire.
- PALS certification within 6 months of hire for all therapists working inpatient and PFT
- NRP certification within 6 months of hire for all therapists working inpatient
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Assist with artificial airway management
- Perform Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation, Patient Assessments and make recommendations for all respiratory patients, Pulse oximetry monitoring, electrocardiogram, Holter monitor set up’s in ED after hours and on weekends; member of the Rapid Response and ERT
- Provide both invasive and non-invasive mechanical support
- Administer humidity and oxygen therapy, bronchial hygiene therapy including percussion and postural drainage, breathing exercises, techniques and incentive spirometry, and aerosolized drugs
- Draw and analyze blood gas samples to determine levels of oxygen, carbon dioxide and acid base balance of blood
- Document procedures according to department and hospital policy and procedures as well as patient education and care plans
- Assist with bronchoscopies and re-stocking of bronch cart and patient transports (internal and external)
- Participate in the department’s Quality Management Process
- Serve as a clinical instructor of respiratory therapy students
- Attend all department and hospital mandatory meetings and seminars as well as department education programs
- Other specialized bedside monitoring
- Performs other duties as assigned. These may include but are not limited to: Maintaining a current knowledge base of department processes, protocols and procedures, pursuing self-directed learning and continuing education opportunities, and participating on committees, task forces, and work groups as determined by management.