Pathology Technician - Laboratory * Evenings - 40 hrs/wk
The Pathology Technician performs specific tasks and duties which include but not limited to the macroscopic gross description, dissection and processing of designated surgical specimens. The level (complexity) of specimens grossed will depend on the level of competency of the Pathology Technician and the needs of the department. The Pathology Technician will assist with gross room duties as assigned by the Technical Supervisor.
- Associates degree in a chemical, physical, biological or clinical laboratory science or medical technology from an accredited institution.
- One (1) year of laboratory training experience in a high complexity testing environment.
- Ability to learn and work efficiently with a variety of laboratory computer systems.
- Accurate data entry skills are required.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Perform routine and limited non-routine activities involved in the preparation of slides, for microscopic evaluation by pathologist(s).
- Describes gross anatomic features of routine, uncomplicated surgical specimens, ensuring that all lesions, markings and sutures are mentioned.
- Records measurements, weight, volume and any abnormal findings as applicable.
- Dissects surgical specimens and prepares tissues for histologic processing.
- Assist with accessioning, printing cassettes and other duties as assigned by the Histology Technical Supervisor.
- Maintain effective communication and working relationships with all laboratory personnel, other disciplines, and external customers.
- Participates in laboratory projects and educational activities.
- Demonstrates and educates laboratory principles and technical skills to others.
- Must have excellent communication skills and have the ability to think analytically and critically.
- Performs other duties as assigned. These may include but are not limited to: Maintaining a current knowledge base of department processes, protocols and procedures, pursuing self-directed learning and continuing education opportunities, and participating on committees, task forces, and work groups as determined by management.
Requisition #: req3156FTE status: 1